Telling the sex of ocellaris clowns??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
clowns are both sexes when they're young ussually one grows larger and this becomes the female, while the smaller is forced to become the male

JC

Josh,
LOL i cant believe your asking this question i could have answered it for you! Females are the largest of the pair if you were to get a smaller clown in your tank that your exsisting clown it would become the male. Females tend to be more aggressive than females from what i have read males more passive. For you to ask about yours being a female or male its neither since their is no mate for it to have. Clowns are fish that are able to change "sexes" to fit the needs of the pair. If you would to look at mine exactly the same size when i bought them but one is drastically bigger than the other. it is easier to get a breed pair together a little more expensive but are easier to breed. True Percula's are more of a tendency to breed easier. Just from what i have read.

Just to clarify, and this is IIRC, I could be way off... but... that's never stopped me before :wink:

I believe all clowns are born male (allowing them to easily breed with a breeding female) and in the absence of a female.. the males will begin to fight for dominance. (not really to the death, but simply to establish the pecking order) the male that takes on the dominant role will then change gender and become female while increasing in size.

Actually clowns are born not having a designated sex as gooyferret stated. As they mature and pair, the larger will become female and the smaller male. In the wild, they will stay in small groups where the female inhabits the host and the male tends to her and protects the area. The others will in fact stay nueter until the time come when one of the other two dominats of the group dies. If that's the female, the male will become the new female and one of the nueters will become male. In most all cases that will be the largest of the group.

If left solitary, most clowns will become female after a time. As a male they can become female. Once a female though, that's it.

Cheers
Steve

I thought that they were both sexes but I was not sure. I try not to say stuff that I am not sure about and ask questions to make sure that I am right before I go and post them in a forum!!!! :x :x :evil: :evil:

Back
Top Bottom