Temp Dropped to 66

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmlrussell

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last night my metal halides turned off but for some reason the fan stayed on all night and when i got up this morning i looked at my thermometer and the tank was at 66.5. I am slowly bringing the temp back up and i was just wondering if there is any thing else i should do to prevent loosing any livestock?

The issue was that the fans stayed on (that's what was stated). IMO.. just bring it back slowly. They'll be lethargic and slowly come around. You might want to consider a second heater in there in case it happens again

Yeah definitly need a second heater. The fish are still alive, shrimp still alive and the corals are still extending there polyps so im hoping for the best.

You should be OK. Jusdt do it slowly like everyone says. Heater is a great idea.

Think about plugging your fans and Halides all into the same timer so this cannot happen again. What I do is plug a powerstrip into the timer for the lights and then plug the lights and fans into the powerstrip.

Think about plugging your fans and Halides all into the same timer so this cannot happen again. What I do is plug a powerstrip into the timer for the lights and then plug the lights and fans into the powerstrip.

+1

you put a second heater on, and all you will do is have the heater fight the evap causing a huge electric bill, and lots of humidity.

well without fixing the problem, the fans will stay on, chilling and evaping the tank, the ATO will flow, the heater will stay on, and it will continue to pump H2O into the air at 150-200 watts. Especially if the fans were strong enough to bring the temp down from 78 to 66. More heaters might keep an emergency from happening, but the +1 was to root out and prevent the problem.

I see what you were saying now, if he doesn't fix the problem at hand then when it happens again it will just be another heater working against the cooling fans, if all he was to do was add a second heater.

I don't see where adding a second heater is a big deal. It's not like the problem happens every night. I'm thinking it was just a fluke. Sure... best thing is the fix the problem, but it also seems to make sense to put in place a backup system (2nd heater) in case it happens again.

During the summer, when I run a fan across the top of my tank, the heaters will often come on. But I have enough heating capacity to "overpower" the fan's cooling capacity so it's no big deal - no big humidity problem, no huge power bill.

Two small heaters is typically not a bad idea, in my opinion. However it also doubles the chance of a heater sticking in the "on" position, which is bound to happen sooner or latter. Then the next thread will be titled "Temp rose to 95-degrees." Luckily I don't have to worry about heaters sticking on anymore because my Apex controller is programmed to cut power to the heater and halides once the tank goes over 82.5

Back
Top Bottom