Temperature out of control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosseg

Aquarium Advice Activist
So for the first few weeks my temp was steady between 77-78, but recently it had been hitting 80 at night! I didn't know why but I didn't think much of it and just upgraded to a 4 bulb t5 with my other 2 bulb hanging on the back of the tank. Now I can't even get my temp below 84, and I'm starting to panic because a green cup coral looks bleachy. I tried a fan in top, wasn't much change. How do u guys do it???

Picture of your display is essential here. Also, need to know how many and what type of pumps you are using.

Dimensions of the tank would also be helpful.

K it's a 29 long, I have the lights resting on the cover, would that cause the drastic increase? I couldn't figure out how to put the risers on lol

Float bags or bottles of frozen water as a temporary fix, invest in a temperature controller, it will turn off a runway heater. If your lights are setting on your tank you could raise them a few inches. Last would be installing a chiller.

This is a simple, you don't need a temp controller or fans. What you need is risers period. You have no oxygen flow between the tank and light. Of course the heat is going to transfer. You need to figure the risers out or find a light with them in place.

Ok I'm going to attempt once more when I get home, directions sucked but ill try to recruit some help. For the mean time, I'm also keeping my 2 bulb fixture out of the equation entirely as not to contribute to the problem

Also, once I get that figured out, should I do away with the cover so I can let excess heat escape?

If you can raise your lights about 2/3 inch off the top your temps will drop some
I have mine about 3 inch off top and run a small fan in the HOB fuge now I maintain a temp of 79*
I am expecting santa to bring me a chiller that I so badly want and need
I got a kick out of a buddy of mine he made his own make shift chiller that serves 2 purposes
he drilled a 3/4 inch hole into both sides of a small dorm size fridge and through the small freezer box inside he ran a hose through the small freezer box and sealed with silicone
the mini fridge cools his tank along with holding all his frozen foods and supplies that need refrigeration including his beer lol
seems to work good too just looks funny (Hey it works)
next time I'm over at his house I'll snap a pict

You need to decide. As long as your temp is staying under 80, then I would say that is the basis to answering your question.

K I get home in about 4 hours ill keep u guys posted thanks for the help hopefully I won't have any die-off

Unfortunately no, my roomate and I are both students. I shouldn't of even turned them on this morning ughhh

I agree with getting those lights up off the tank. Im wondering why the temps are going up at night though. I'm assuming the lights are off then? Maybe I read that wrong?

Yeah lights are off! Maybe the heat is still just trapped in the tank? Idk!

temp controller

This is a simple, you don't need a temp controller or fans. What you need is risers period. You have no oxygen flow between the tank and light. Of course the heat is going to transfer. You need to figure the risers out or find a light with them in place.

You don't need a temp controller until you have a heater stick on and cook your whole system. IMO it's cheap insurance.

ezy33 said:
You don't need a temp controller until you have a heater stick on and cook your whole system. IMO it's cheap insurance.

I agree, I however found a simple solution. Simply don't use a heater. The caveat to this is obviously if you are an Eskimo and live in 67f or below temps.

I was recently watching Mr. Saltwater in one of his cast about the APEX controller. He said, "isn't it funny that our 1000s of dollars in livestock all boils down to a 30 dollar heater." Unless you have the cash to dish out for you're 150 gallon reef, I say simply just do not use one. A lot of corals fair well in lower temps (70f-78f).

Back
Top Bottom