Testing for chlorine/chlorides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MarkW19 said:
Not sure I completely understand you description of events but as long as the water did not go from the tap directly through the RO membrane first, you should be fine. Chlorine and chloramines will kill the membrane if it did not go through the carbon stage first.

Cheers
Steve

So it doesn't really matter what order the water goes through the sediment and carbon filters?

Some water may have not gone through the sediment filter, but all definitely went through the carbon before it got to the membrane.

Is that ok?

MarkW19 said:
So it doesn't really matter what order the water goes through the sediment and carbon filters?
It does actually matter but not for something that short term. It will make alot of difference with the longevity of the carbon if it's the first stage. Best to get the larger particles out before the carbon stage.

MarkW19 said:
Some water may have not gone through the sediment filter, but all definitely went through the carbon before it got to the membrane.

Is that ok?
Shouldn't be a concern for anything.

Cheers
Steve

To be safe, I'm currently running the unit (outputting RO water) for an hour and a half to wash out any of the water that was still in it. So that when I use it properly, it'll only be "new" water that I get that's gone through the filters in the correct order etc.

How do I ensure water's kept in the membrane when the unit is being stored? Just turn the water off after I've finished and it should stay in there right?

After I've turned it off, water keeps dripping out of the two tubes though (waste and product) for a couple of mins after I've turned it off, albeit getting slower and slower until it stops.

Is this ok? Or am I losing water from the membrane by letting it do this?

MarkW19 said:
Is this ok? Or am I losing water from the membrane by letting it do this?
Not 100 % sure on this but if the water is off there will be no pressure in the unit and a good possibility the membrane will not be completely covered by water.

The unit should have an auto shut off (?) that keeps the pressure throughout the unit constant and you shouldn't need to turn it off. Why not just leave it connected?

Hopefully someone that stores their unit in the same fashion will respond :?:

Cheers
Steve

I can't leave it connected because I use it in the bath :)

I've been doing the same thing for 7 months and the TDS are between 1 and 2 ppm. So I guess it's not a problem? I just noticed tonight that water keeps dripping out for a few minutes after it's shut off, that's all.

Well, I've just done my first proper RO run since changing the filters, and I've got 001 TDS ppm.

So, I guess everything is working smoothly :p

Back
Top Bottom