Testing for Toxic Metal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coralmushroom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
is there a way to test for toxic metals? (besides copper). Is there a treatment? the tank was not medicated. I just noticed some signs of stress and would like to make sure nothing toxic is in there. Nitrogen parameters are Golden. sg 1.024 ph 8.3. (stress signs are cloudy puffy eyes).

CoralMushroom

not that i know of as for the tests !! but would prob do a water change and if both eyes are poppin out then go to wetwebmedia and do a search under pop eye ton of hit there !! but a water change should help the short term

just one eye. it seems real mild. but gets better one day, worse the next and better than worse. So i am not sure if a quarantine with marycin will help if its just some old water irritating them. quarantine to me just seems like it will stress out the fish and make then more susceptible since its not a major infection. Quarantine and medicate? or see if it clears up after the change?

Eye problems that are not severe can usually clear up on their own without meds. Most times it is from elevated DOC or other impurities in the water. Aggressive skimming, water changes and a fortified vitamin diet will usually do the trick. If you think there is something toxic amiss with the water you may also wish to look into adding some high quality GAC and a polyfilter.

Cheers
Steve

if its only one eye then its prob a trauma to the eye !! the only thing ya can do is add epson salt and if that doesnt release the pressure behind the eye then sorry to say ya screwed !!! if it both eyes then ya have another issue !! i have a niger trigger that got one pop eye after adding the epson salt it went down but not all the way !! so now its name is popeye and alls good but one eye is big !! nothing can be done !!

Eye problems that are not severe can usually clear up on their own without meds.

This eye problem was due to trauma, the difference in the picture is three days, nothing was done except to increase feeding and a waterchange.

DSCN5551.jpg

DSCN5561.jpg

As Kevin has shown it is more than possible. Adding Mg can help but the dosage amount will usually need a bit more than you would want to add to the main tank, although some will definately help. I would not excede more than two tablespoons/50 gal of actual tank water if adding to the display tank.

My mated skunks will often get "carried away" and one will sometimes get a wollop resulting in a cloudy eye. To date of the 3-4 times it's happend, I have not needed to treat them.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom