Testing Salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoC16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wanted to know if you had to purchase a certain hydrometer to test a certain salt's salinity. I have an instant ocean hydrometer but I'd like to use it in testing my red sea salt. Is this possible?

Hydrometers are universal. All salt mixes are in essence the same, they just contain different amounts of nutrients for saltwater inhabitants.

I wanted to know if you had to purchase a certain hydrometer to test a certain salt's salinity. I have an instant ocean hydrometer but I'd like to use it in testing my red sea salt. Is this possible?

It is very highly recommended to get rid of the hydrometer . They are not accurate at all .
I have 3 different ones .
One coral life 1 Red Sea and one Instant ocean .
They all had different readings .
I bought a refractometer ,
They are very easy to read and accurate .
The best $21 I spent in a very long time

Hydrometers are just fine for FOWLR. However for acclimating inverts, corals, or a hyposalinity treatment; a refractometer is very important.

Hydrometer can be used for FOWLR, but not for my tanks due to increased likelihood for error in using it. No way am I chancing it again.

Mine was only $24. On eBay and works great even came with a case

Mine was the same .
I bought it from eBay .
( a china based company )
Shipped to canada in just a few weeks . It came with a case , droppers , and screw driver for calibrating .

Lol I don't think you got robbed you probably just got a better quality one

My el cheapo hydrometer has been spot on with my refracto every time.. Maybe in just lucky!! :)

Back
Top Bottom