Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2021, 09:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Testing tank parameters

So I have a detailed question. We all know that doing a water change will change the water parameters, thatís why we do water changes, to get rid of bad stuff like waste, ammonia, nitrates. So if I want to test water parameters on the same day that Iím doing a water change should I test the water parameters before or after the water change?

Old 04-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are seeing ammonia during your day to day tank maintenance that you need to remove by water changes, that would be a concern as you arent cycled and you should be looking into the cause. Are you overstocked perhaps?

I would be doing water tests before a water change. Its more likely you will detect issues before than afterwards. These water tests arent that accurate, and lowering the parameters through a water change before a test might give you a false sense of security.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
If you are seeing ammonia during your day to day tank maintenance that you need to remove by water changes, that would be a concern as you arent cycled and you should be looking into the cause. Are you overstocked perhaps?

I would be doing water tests before a water change. Its more likely you will detect issues before than afterwards. These water tests arent that accurate, and lowering the parameters through a water change before a test might give you a false sense of security.

Thank you for your response
Old 04-02-2021, 10:02 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'm more interested in my levels when I'm done with the water change. It will let you know if you need to do another, maybe a larger one next week, feed more, feed less...
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I’m more comfortable in testing prior to water changes.

Tags
meters, parameters, ram, sting, tan, tank, test, testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com