tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morgan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
when is the best time to do tests on your water. before the lights come on, during the lighting period, just before the lights go out, or after they go out? thanks

I read a lot lately and don't remember and time one being best. I would check water temp at different times of the day and night though and get a second heater if you find colder days/night effecting the tank temp.

but then... I am a n00b :)

well you preferably want to take readings at the same time every day so you have a benchmark to work from. as far as what time of day, i think that's up to you..

Jim

pH will be lower in the morning before lights on. You should take your readings later in the day during lights on.

If you are talking about testing pH, when I test for it, I do it before the lights come on, and then I test it again during the mid-day to see how high it gets. As cmor pointed out, the pH varies throughout the day due to CO2 takeup in the water.

For all other tests (i.e. ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc...) it really doesn't matter what time of the day you test for.

thanks for the replies, but what about calcium? does it vary during the day like the ph does? thanks again

Good question. I have not been able to find anything that would imply that the calcium levels would vary during the day.

Maybe one of our chemist advisors will chime in.

thanks for the replies, but what about calcium? does it vary during the day like the ph does? thanks again

Yes and No. :)

Yes, because organisms (i.e. coral, coralline algae, snails, etc...) are constantly using up the available calcium throughout the day and it will always be falling.

No, because the time of day has no affect on the calcium level unlike pH.

I could have just said "No" but I'm bored and the wife is on the phone...

;)

Back
Top Bottom