Thank goodness for GFI's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tex

Aquarium Advice Freak
It’s been so hot recently I have had to resort to a small, cheap clip on fan blowing across the top of my tank to keep the water temperature down. I bought the fan at Wal-Mart for about $8. I was doing some tank maintenance the other day and accidentally knocked the fan off into the tank while it was plugged in and running – and I had my hand in the water . In the blink of an eye the GFI tripped and cut power – potentially saving my life. Scared the daylights out of me but in the end all was okay. It ruined the fan and I bought another one to replace it.

A reminder to all.

wow, lucky there. i had my old lighting fall in while i was doing maitenence. lets just say it was a shocking experience. 8O i upgraded my lighting after that, Lol.

i have a clip on fan and didnt tignten the screw tight enough...when i came home the fan blades were in the water but the motor was stilll dry....it splashed water all over the place but didnt trip anything(CFGI or powerstrip) ...i let it dry out for a few hours and it was fine. i sinced tightend the screw and it holds up fine.

now i need another spliter so that ican plug the fan into the same timer the MHs are in so they go on and off together.

dont leave the fan on all night...i did and my water droped to 74 killing my clown. i also had the fan pluged into where the heater was.

lessson learned keep heaters pluged in for those cool summer nights

phish7740 said:
............dont leave the fan on all night...i did and my water droped to 74 killing my clown. i also had the fan pluged into where the heater was.

lessson learned keep heaters pluged in for those cool summer nights
Agreed, my fan is plugged into the light timer. Hy heater is always plugged in, just in case.

melosu58 said:
This was some good info for all of us. Thanks for sharing
Hey, no problem, wanted to share to save possible catastrophies. As an engineer I have detailed knowlege of GFI theory and house wiring. I've shared some of this in past threads and in dozens of pm's with various forum members. I KNOW they can save your life and are a cheap and essential piece of equipment. Feel free to pm me or post a question here. I'd be glad to help

Back
Top Bottom