that was interesting......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Micro_suds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well,

i decided to try and give my green carpet anemone some chunks of squid as a supplement to the usual phytoplankton as his regular diet. up until this time i have not fed it anything else but the phytoplankton. i proceeded to put 2 small pieces of squid onto his mantle and to my surprise he devoured it rather quickly....

micro

steve,

he's been in my tank almost 4 months and i've never fed him anything but the plankton. in your opinion do you think it would be healthier to feed him the squid more often?

thanx,

micro

As Steve mentioned, a regular weekly feeding will greatly increase the carpet anemones chance of survival...Matter of fact, I would stop feeding the plankton all together... It doesn't need it.. Carpet anemones create their own food through the zooanthellae that lives in them.. Carpet anemones are light loving anemones... This is what gives them the color... unless of course it was dyed.. but thats another story..

Weekly feedings of fish, mussle, squid etc.. will be good for it...

Doesn't surprise me at all. You should be feeding it meaty foods a couple times a week. They cannot eat Phytoplankton...

i mix mine up from raw fresh clam to shrimp and they love it just have to feed the cleaner shrimp first so they dont steal it hehehe 2 funny

bang guy,

They cannot eat Phytoplankton...

The Carpet Anemone, Green has a green, blue-green color. It likes to eat filter feeding invert food, brine shrimp,
micro-plankton
a few times per week, when open. The Stichodactyla haddoni is generally aggressive toward other tankmates. Many consider the Stichodactyla haddoni a high-maintenance specimen. Has strong lighting needs. The Green Carpet Anemone, Haddon's Carpet Anemone requires high water flow.

it says right here that it like to micro-plankton....what do you mean it can't eat phytoplankton???

micro

i thought it was pretty interesting to see my beaker/scolly (whatever you want to call it) eat a hermit crab that ventured to close to its mouth. i walked in and saw something in its mouth but didnt know what it was. after watching for a few minutes it spit a pretty large hermit crab shell with nothing left inside but the exoskeleton of the crab, all the meat was gone. of course as soon as hit the sand my peppermint shrimp and other hermits scavaged the remains. never thought id see a coral do this.

I will tell you from experience. If you feed a carpet anemone phytoplankton or filter feeding foods only, they will starve to death. They don't have a good track record for longevity in aquariums anyway,,why make it even shorter?...

It looks like you got the description from LiveAquaria.com... If you were to look at other species as well, you will find they copied and pasted that into all of the anemone descriptions... It is a general care script.. Not by any means their natural diet...I will say that it is a waste of money to buy the phytoplankton unless you plan on feeding feather dusters or other inverts that will benefit from it... :mrgreen:

bang guy,

They cannot eat Phytoplankton...

The Carpet Anemone, Green has a green, blue-green color. It likes to eat filter feeding invert food, brine shrimp,
micro-plankton
a few times per week, when open. The Stichodactyla haddoni is generally aggressive toward other tankmates. Many consider the Stichodactyla haddoni a high-maintenance specimen. Has strong lighting needs. The Green Carpet Anemone, Haddon's Carpet Anemone requires high water flow.

it says right here that it like to micro-plankton....what do you mean it can't eat phytoplankton???

micro

Stichodactyla sp. are fish eaters. They cannot eat Phytoplankton, they can't capture it, they can't digest it.

Silversides or Lancefish are the perfect food for these animals, and... they need a LOT of them.

I would do research on other sites and not take my advice from places like marinedepot (which is where that info you listed came from) or liveaquaria. I have noticed they tend to give alot of wrong information.

Back
Top Bottom