That's it. The yellow tang is gone to the LFS - I think.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been saying I needed to add my yellow eye kole from QT soon. In order to do that, I was going in to re-arrange the 90 lbs of rock, get the yellow tang out of the main, and put him in QT while the yellow eye got situated. Whilst this was happenning, I was also going to remove my foxface rabbitfish and return him to the LFS.

Anyway, I turned on some ceiling track lights above the tank this morning, and lo and behold the yellow tang kinda drifted out from behind the rocks, seemingly blind and swam right into my net. A friend told me once that they are virually blind when lights first go on. Seems very true now. Wish the foxface did the same. Still looks like I'll have to disassemble to get him. Planning on it anyway for more coral perches.

Now I'm thinking that I'll trade the big yellow in for a smaller one. The big one is very agressive towards the foxface (why not? Yellow, similar body shape), but lately has been picking on my brittle star too. I think he's just mean.

Maybe a new, smaller yellow tang in after 3 weeks, after the yellow eye kole estabishes himself. Might work better. I guess it's a crap shoot for whether the new, smaller yellow tang might get nasty too in later years, huh?

Opinions? Would you keep the big yellow after a 3 week timeout in QT, or stick with the plan to replace him with a small one - probably half the size of the yellow eye kole?

Lucky catch, it is noce you did not have to tear apart your reef to get it. Personally, I would take this one back to the LFS. Trade it in for a smaller one.

Yep, the big yellow tang and the rabbitfish are gone. Tank looks kinda empty now with just those little 2 inch fish swimming around. :(

Moving 80 lbs of rock and all the stuff it stirred up was kinda scary, but afterwards, I checked my levels and everything was fine. Nitrates still @ zero, and no ammonia. Whoo hooo!

I did decide to do the smaller yellow tang last. Thaks fer the input guys! Your really did help me make up my mind.

Ya austinsdad, i know all about the crud that gets stirred around when you move lr. The first time I did it I was freakin out. I had to do it last Friday, and I was better, but still I wondered! 8O

I think you made the right decision, and your tank future will be better for it! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom