The 300 gallon outside corner reef of 32 years has been moved to its new 400 gallon P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
IMG_3519.jpg
IMG_3520.jpg
IMG_3521.jpg

It was exhausting for a 71 year old guy to pull of building our new home AND move 25 year old fish. It is a story I will tell in more detail soon.
The 400 gallon peninsula tank Planet built for me has all the latest features. Moving from acrylic to low iron glass has been a positive experience.

Wow !!! Hey Greg ,..welcome home ,…congratulations on the new tank setup !!
I could imagine the move had to be somewhat mind boggling to say the least .
I see a powder blue tang in there , how long have you had him? …I’ve had mine for 3 years or is it 4 ??? ..Hey ,I’m 71 too so the mind isn’t what it used to be !
Looking forward to hearing all the details

Wow !!! Hey Greg ,..welcome home ,…congratulations on the new tank setup !!
I could imagine the move had to be somewhat mind boggling to say the least .
I see a powder blue tang in there , how long have you had him? …I’ve had mine for 3 years or is it 4 ??? ..Hey ,I’m 71 too so the mind isn’t what it used to be !
Looking forward to hearing all the details

I’m 71 as well. But you die when you stop, so why stop?
The yellow were bought for $20 each, over 20 years ago. The hippo is the same one I’ve had and he’s well over 10. The powder blue is about 6 years old and there is a coral beauty that is 30 years old at least. I couldn’t leave them behind, so at rather stupid expense I built them a new and better home.
33 years is a long time. My iwaki pumps ran the whole time without a failure, but I discover the quietness of dc pumps for new build. My son is now the expert and he’s updating the old man and adding some new stuff. I’ll report on the progress now that the move is accomplished. Added $240 in various snails today. Everything is 10x what it cost when I started the reef the first time. Whole new ballgame. But buying frags makes sense on so many levels and the technology has improved. My new home for instance is geothermal and the need for a chiller has gone away.
Anyway, nice to see you guys all still engaged.
Cheers.

Yeah, new restrictions, updated technologies, more distant collection sites, freight charges, etc have all made things much more expensive than before. Just seeing the current prices of fish normally collected in Hawaii ( which is now heavily regulated) made me stain my underwear. :eek: ;) That's the reality of fish keeping today. :( The good news is that Coral Fragging has come way down in price so there is some hope for the average hobbyist. (y)

Beautiful setup Greg. Please tell the story sometime. Im hoping to leave the burbs for more rural in the next couple of years and want to consolidate my 180g and 90g into a 300-400g. And I was worried I’ll be in my mid-50’s. Very inspirational. [emoji16]

Sean,…in your 50’s you’re still considered a young pup!! ( at least by our standards )

It’s all relative. [emoji16]. Things that never caused pain takes days to recover from. And I’m told it gets worse? [emoji51][emoji16]

Give it another 20 years Sean and watch the fun unfold … your feet seem farther away when you try and put on your socks…. You start to sound like a old car squeaking when you try to pickup 5 gallons of rodi water ….
In my mind I still feel like I’m 29 but all the kids are calling me “ sir” …. Oh oh … lol
Yup , it’s all relative… just keep moving and oil the parts that are squeaking

Falling Apart

Tank looks Good!

I seem to hit 40 and things are falling apart. :p Everything hurts, everything seems to be going south, and easy fixes turn into "Take a week off work" things now. Which I still don't do! LoL

Went to the doctor for something I thought was routine, next thing I know I am being taken into the ER and getting surgery in the morning, spending two days in the hospital. lol

I wouldn't say I am the piler of health, but I work out and run. I eat healthier than most. I am not skinny, but I'm not morbidly obese. So, why does everything have to fall apart? LOL

Hopefully, your tank settles soon and everything is healthy. I always freaked out when I moved my tanks. I don't have a tank right now, but wanting to start one again.

Give it another 20 years Sean and watch the fun unfold … your feet seem farther away when you try and put on your socks…. You start to sound like a old car squeaking when you try to pickup 5 gallons of rodi water ….
In my mind I still feel like I’m 29 but all the kids are calling me “ sir” …. Oh oh … lol
Yup , it’s all relative… just keep moving and oil the parts that are squeaking

You got that right. (y) My 20 year old brain keeps writing checks my 65 year old body can't cash. :eek: :facepalm: I even have to be careful when I :facepalm: that I don't poke out an eye. :eek: :lol:
It only gets better with age Sean. Or as my buddy always tells me, " It beats the alternative." :huh: :whistle:

Tank looks Good!

I seem to hit 40 and things are falling apart. :p Everything hurts, everything seems to be going south, and easy fixes turn into "Take a week off work" things now. Which I still don't do! LoL

Went to the doctor for something I thought was routine, next thing I know I am being taken into the ER and getting surgery in the morning, spending two days in the hospital. lol

I wouldn't say I am the piler of health, but I work out and run. I eat healthier than most. I am not skinny, but I'm not morbidly obese. So, why does everything have to fall apart? LOL

Hopefully, your tank settles soon and everything is healthy. I always freaked out when I moved my tanks. I don't have a tank right now, but wanting to start one again.
Everybody has 3 ages, chronological, emotional and physical. The problems really start when these ages separate further and further. Mine have reached a point where they are starting to be dangerous. Chronologically I'm 65, emotionally 20 and physically 90 ( from too much fish work. LOL ) and my 20 year old brain keeps trying to get my 90 year old body to do things that now take days ( and sometimes weeks) to recover from. More often than not, I just wish my brain would grab a 6 pack and sit on the porch and SHUT UP!!! :lol: THe problem is it sees a whole bunch of empty tanks so it starts thinking about how to fill them. :facepalm::lol:

Sean …. After all these funny replies I hope you’re feeling young again !!!
We haven’t even touched on walking into a room and wondering “ what the $&@ did I come in here for ? ?…. Lol … like we said … it only gets worse.
The other day I forgot if I had fed my fish 20 minutes earlier ., I think they might have got “seconds “ that day …
For me Sitting outside with a glass of wine at sunset watching the world go by kinda gives me back a little perspective and regrouping on things ., like everyone has eluded to …. You’ve got s ways to go yet !! Enjoy the ride , it’s s doosie

Sean …. After all these funny replies I hope you’re feeling young again !!!
We haven’t even touched on walking into a room and wondering “ what the $&@ did I come in here for ? ?…. Lol … like we said … it only gets worse.
The other day I forgot if I had fed my fish 20 minutes earlier ., I think they might have got “seconds “ that day …
For me Sitting outside with a glass of wine at sunset watching the world go by kinda gives me back a little perspective and regrouping on things ., like everyone has eluded to …. You’ve got s ways to go yet !! Enjoy the ride , it’s s doosie
Walking into a room? I'm currently driving from Maine to Florida and have had a couple of times where I went " Didn't I pass this about an hour ago?" moments :eek::facepalm::lol: ( I had to pull over and check the map and the answers were always NO :^s :facepalm:) At least walking into a room is safer for having " those" moments. :lol::lol:

Dary, I feel younger than I am unless I move suddenly. When did it become normal to sustain injury…while sleeping? [emoji16]. I have a friend that is fond of saying, “I want to live life at high speed, slide sideways into the grave and say, what a ride”. In other words, get busy living or get busy dying.

In all seriousness, I’m really interested in hearing how Greg pulled off the move. Last time I did something like that was 30 years ago. It was fish only and I moved a 120 and a 55 from upstate NY to Virginia Beach and had the tank up and running in less than 24 hours. Never moved a reef though.

Dary, I feel younger than I am unless I move suddenly. When did it become normal to sustain injury…while sleeping? [emoji16]. I have a friend that is fond of saying, “I want to live life at high speed, slide sideways into the grave and say, what a ride”. In other words, get busy living or get busy dying.

In all seriousness, I’m really interested in hearing how Greg pulled off the move. Last time I did something like that was 30 years ago. It was fish only and I moved a 120 and a 55 from upstate NY to Virginia Beach and had the tank up and running in less than 24 hours. Never moved a reef though.
Usually when you move a reef, you save as much of your materials as possible and in the case of water, you basically do a decent water change. Moving corals is not as hard an issue as you may think since they get shipped from across the world in bags with just enough water to keep the inside of the bag moist and the corals wrapped in wet plain paper. Considering that some species are exposed to the air for close to 6 hours 2 times a day, they are a hardy critter. (y)

This has been some funny stuff !!! Nice to see that we can all laugh at ourselves and take everything in stride as we try and react with the normal people out there .
….as far as Greg’s tank relocation goes,… we’ll just have to wait and see if the old man managed to survive the whole ordeal.
In the meantime,have you ever ran up to the grocery store to buy one item and have come home with 3 bags of stuff only to forget that one item you needed to buy … toilet paper !!

This has been some funny stuff !!! Nice to see that we can all laugh at ourselves and take everything in stride as we try and react with the normal people out there .
….as far as Greg’s tank relocation goes,… we’ll just have to wait and see if the old man managed to survive the whole ordeal.
In the meantime,have you ever ran up to the grocery store to buy one item and have come home with 3 bags of stuff only to forget that one item you needed to buy … toilet paper !!
Not 3 bags but definitely without the item I went in for. :facepalm: I stockpile. I buy TP whenever it goes on sale so the chances of me running out is slim to none. Silly things like Milk or Cereal are a crap shoot. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom