The big move suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schism

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok for the run down i have build a new stand and hood for my 29g reef. The trick is going to be moving it. This is a standard 29g 30".

I want to try this tom with my brothers help. Here is what i was thinking. Note in 8 years ive never had to move a running tank. The new stand is built about a 1/4" shorter than the current stand in hopes i can just empty about half the water, slide it onto the new stand, position, level and refill. During this time i will have corals exposed to air and hopefully without any hiccups i refill the tank within 10 mins.

Removing the rock and coral is not much of an option right now as many pieces are fused with sponges and coral also i do not want to stir the tank up.

Im not worried about the corals being exposed to air as long as its only 10 mins as i do this often.

My questions are for others who have done something similar. How easy was it or was it a pain? My biggest fear doing this is breaking a seal or cracking glass somehow.

Anyone done this let me know. I estimate about 200lbs half full of water. If its less it will only make my life easier lol.

I've moved over a similar tank in the past. I'm not sure how your current stand is built and situated but for me, it was not an option to grab the corners of the tanks and\or to simply push it onto a new one. (It was in a corner and we didn't want to pull it onto the new stand)

What worked well for me was using those industrial suction cup holders. It made it a breeze to just pick up, lift, and set down.

With a 1/4" difference, you should be fine just pushing it over and onto the new stand. Maybe use some rubber shims to keep it level and then slowly remove the shims? Doubt you need it, but just a though.

AquaRick said:
I've moved over a similar tank in the past. I'm not sure how your current stand is built and situated but for me, it was not an option to grab the corners of the tanks and\or to simply push it onto a new one. (It was in a corner and we didn't want to pull it onto the new stand)

What worked well for me was using those industrial suction cup holders. It made it a breeze to just pick up, lift, and set down.

With a 1/4" difference, you should be fine just pushing it over and onto the new stand. Maybe use some rubber shims to keep it level and then slowly remove the shims? Doubt you need it, but just a though.

Thanks i might have to look for some shims. I hoping it wont be a problem to push it since its a smaller tank. The move got pushed back till next weekend so ill have more time to think about it and plan things out.

Can you get any of the rock out? Every pound can help. I've moved several tanks over the last 2 years but always emptied them almost completely except for sand.

Good luck though, make sure we get pictures of before and after. :-D

carey said:
Can you get any of the rock out? Every pound can help. I've moved several tanks over the last 2 years but always emptied them almost completely except for sand.

Good luck though, make sure we get pictures of before and after. :-D

Yep ill get some pics before and after.

As for the rock it would be impossible to get any out without breaking a coral and i really dont wanna do that. Many of the rocks main rocks are encrusted with montipora attaching to other rocks. If i have to take more than 50% water out to make lighter then thats what i think im gonna have to do.

If i could take rocks out without damaging anything i most definitely would. And if i have to i will.

Probably the most difficult thing will be putting all the reefkeeper modules and cording into the new stand and getting it all back up and running in a timely manner.

Back
Top Bottom