The Mighty Bird Wrasse!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just added a really big male Bird Wrasse to my tank and MAN is it cool. The thing is huge and full of character. Watching it eat is a trip, I'll feed it a silverside that it catches in its long beak then it smashes it by opening and closing its beak or it will literally smash the silverside on a rock to pulverize it before it swallows it. This may be the favorite fish I've had.

I was looking at the bird wrasse than I saw the red coris wrasse I just fell in love the coloring was awesome almost every color on the rainbow , bird wrasse was my second choice , the way that nose just flows they are so cool , If I came into money I would do wrasse only tank maybe 500g or so

I have a few myself
lunar Wrasse
2 red coris wrasse 1 adult 1 juvinile
1 six line wrasse
1 leopard wrasse

Is the lunar reef safe? I've heard no but I've also heard the bird isn't and so far he's great...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

if you ask me any fish that grows over 6 inch they claim their all not reef safe it's more with caution IMO
they claim its not but haven't seen any issues other than munching on snails and hermits
leaves coral alone but be careful if you have clams
I'd trust my huma huma trigger in my reef if I had to he is the most mellow fish I've seen with teeth

Last edited:
Just an FYI: Huma triggers eat crustaceans ( shrimps & crabs ) and chew coral to sharpen their teeth. If you have stonys or crustys, I'd rethink adding a Huma no matter how nice it is with the other fish. :whistle: The safer triggers for reefs are usually the round faced triggers but even with these, there are exceptions. Do you homework. ;)

Hope this helps. (y)

had a huma in my reef years ago. He did enjoy a delicious turbo snail now and again but never touched coral. Its a risk for sure though. Usually the blue throat or pink tail are the reef recommended triggers but they don't look nearly as cool as the huma huma imo. I know people who have added baby huma, like just over an inch to their reef and raised them. With enough clams to dull their teeth they seem to stay away.

had a huma in my reef years ago. He did enjoy a delicious turbo snail now and again but never touched coral. Its a risk for sure though. Usually the blue throat or pink tail are the reef recommended triggers but they don't look nearly as cool as the huma huma imo. I know people who have added baby huma, like just over an inch to their reef and raised them. With enough clams to dull their teeth they seem to stay away.
Well as you said, you takes your chances. ;) Just remember Murphy's law: The cheapest fish will hurt your most expensive coral. ;):brows::lol: (y)

Beautiful tank animal-chin !!!! I'd hold off on the humu tho,...they can be very very territorial and destructive towards other fish and any inverts .

mine dug a hole under the rocks and waits for his daily feeders such personality
he is best buds with my red coris wrasse they are in separable if one goes out exploring the other follows it's kind of neat , both these guys love snacking on snails/hermits
the one thing I noticed the wrasse won't munch the minnows only the feeder shrimp
and yes the trigger is a pig he'll catch 3 or 4 feeder fish at once or like 6 feeder shrimp
once he catches what he wants he goes and hides to eat his catch

ya I'm back and fourth on the Huma. Now that I've had the big bird for a while and see how much it eats and poops I don't really want to increase my bioload, especially with a big fish. Maybe a fairy wrasse or something but not a big trigger...

Beautiful. Had a 6" Green Bird when I was FOWLR. Miss that fish. Maybe one day.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom