The mysterious Hermit Crab!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kingman8610

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I have 3, count it, 3! hermit crabs, as far as I know they are stripped legged hermits "fish-killers"... wellll.... I woke up this morning to a shocking surprise. There is one out of its shell and it looks dead!! It doesnt look exactly whole, I mean, all the parts are there but it looks as if it is shedded skin, but the claws and legs are there. I started freaking out and the tank temp was WAYYY too cold, and I was like
"No!!!" I was sooo angry!! Well, then I saw something else. I saw all 3 of my hermits! still alive!!! so WHERE did this other one come from!!! ??? My only other thought is a question about molting, b/c I know that they molt, well, when they molt, do they also shed their legs and claws and grow new ones? because this "body" I found is a complete hermit, like I said above, the claws and legs look whole though. So could SOMEONE please help! I'm at a loss to what this may be and I would Love any answers or advice or suggestions.

thanks in advance
-Brett

It's the molt, That is the reason to put spare shells in the tank so that as the hermits get bigger they will move into a spare shell instead of killing each other or your snails..

Hey thank TC, but are you sure? Do the legs and claws come off too? Do they grow new ones? B/c the legs and claws look like they are the entire legs and claws like, they dont look like just a shell or casing..

It's a fresh molt and it does fool everyone not just you....they back out of their lold exoskeleton and go into hiding untill their new shell hardens. Quite normal...

don't add to many Hermits as they will end up killing your snails.

don't add to many Hermits as they will end up killing your snails.

Ok thanks wow so thats why the one didnt move from its spot for days! ok makes sense now he was waiting for his shell to harden? lol ok cool.

And what do you mean about the snails? they have been eating side by side together! yeah! hermit crab and snail... just munchin down on some LR lol well, the algae, except that I do beleive the hermit is in fact eating the LR, is that ok? I mean, they are not eating too much, just a bit now and then... I dont like it, but if thats what's gonna happen then I can't stop it. so is that ok too??

Random question, for the molting of my hermits, how many inches should my sand-bed be?

Thanks TC I appreciate the answers
-Brett

If the hermits are starving (which they aren't in your tank it sounds like) they may kill and eat snails. Too many hermits will result in them starving due to lack of food. The hermits will not harm the liverock so dont worry about that. I dont see how the sandbed would matter in the molting of hermits, sorry :)

Hermit crabs will kill snails not just to eat them but for their shells.

well kelsey, I've heard it said that they go down into the sand to molt... idk lol thats why I was asking.

In the case of adding more hermits, well, I pulled these straight from the ocean in corpus christi, tx, and I'm not gonna buy any so, lol I'm not adding any unless I'm going to corpus again anytime soon which, being the beginning of winter, I doubt it lol

and how will they not hurt the LR if they're eating it? or at least thats what it looks like to me, I see them pick off small chunks with their claws, so, if thats not part of the LR, then what is it?

Thanks all
-Brett

Hermit crabs will kill snails not just to eat them but for their shells.

Yeah the Snails' Shells are WAYYYYY too small for these Hermits lol, unless they are reproducing, which, btw I've been meaning to ask, How do they do that? Lay eggs? Live birth? And how would I know if they are breeding??

Back
Top Bottom