The red manace - Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donniea1800

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I need some ideas. I have had my 50 gallon tank set up for about 2 years now. Everything has been fine and now all of a sudden I am getting cyano on the rocks and a little on the sand. I cant really think of anything different that has happened to cause this. It appears I still have good flow in my tank and my T5 bulbs are about 7 months old which I am replacing. I have a phosphate reactor running and a Reef Octopus BH100 HOB skimmer as I have no sump. I usually only run the BRS GFO and BRS Rox 0.8 carbon. I do 5 gallon water changes every week with a 10 gallon change every 3rd week. The only thing I have changed is salt as I was using Seachem reef salt but now using Red Sea Coral Pro. I did notice the cyano before the salt change so I don't think its the salt.

Any other recommendations to get rid of this stuff? A LFS sold me some chemiclean but I am hesitant to use that. I would prefer to fix it naturally if I can. I have never tried any kind of carbon dosing as I don't know if my HOB skimmer would provide enough power for carbon dosing. I have always heard you need a large and powerful skimmer for that. For corals I have mainly LPS and softies. I do also have a clam and a rock anemone. Everything is doing well except for the cyano so something must be off but I cant figure it out.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0.1 at most, told I need some for my clam
PH - always run about 7.9 to 8.0
Alk - was low but got it up to 8
Phosphate - don't test but run GFO constantly
Calcium - 400
Temp - 79-80
Salinity - 1.026

What kind of water are you running? Might be coming in that way, but cyano is normally a nutrient issue.
That being said, I switched to Red Sea coral pro and had a cyano outbreak... I'm switching back to kent and well see what happens, but I've read about others having this issue.

I am using RODI water. I have my own filter and I just changed the filters. TDS is showing 0 with my meter. Interesting you mention you had a problem with the Red Sea salt also. Makes me wonder. This bucket wasn't cheap but maybe I should try to switch back to Seachem and see what happens. I tried Reef Crystals once but did not like it. The Seachem was leaving alot of scale on my bucket so a changed to the Red Sea.

That being said, I switched to Red Sea coral pro and had a cyano outbreak... I'm switching back to kent and well see what happens, but I've read about others having this issue.

Really? I've been using it for a while and have never had that. Op I would just up the wc's and pull out as much as you can. My bet would be the bulbs, as they age they tend to grow more algae, I usually change them every ~4 months or so but if I let them go for 6 the algae really takes off

I am using RODI water. I have my own filter and I just changed the filters. TDS is showing 0 with my meter. Interesting you mention you had a problem with the Red Sea salt also. Makes me wonder. This bucket wasn't cheap but maybe I should try to switch back to Seachem and see what happens. I tried Reef Crystals once but did not like it. The Seachem was leaving alot of scale on my bucket so a changed to the Red Sea.

Red Sea tends to leave a nasty bucket too, so be prepared.

Thanks everyone. So my plan is to up my water changes to 10 gallons per week. I will continue using the airline tubing to remove as much cyano as possible during my water changes. I am getting new bulbs this week so I will see what that does and I am adding another power head. I have been feeding LRS Reef Frenzy which I know does have extra stuff for corals so maybe I need to cut that back as maybe its adding to many nutrients. So at this point I should not try the Chemiclean? I have read some bad experiences so I am hesitant to use it. If the cyano does not get better I may switch salts after this bucket is done. Thanks.

No issues on my end. Mixed really well and fast. Not sure if it was it or the reef crystals that left a ring around my bucket, but doesn't really matter in the end.

Back
Top Bottom