The salty side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exeori

Aquarium Advice Regular
Iv just upgraded my tank from a 75l to a 180 litres. Approx 40gal. I have an external filter unit built in but no sump. Will an external filter full of small pieces of live rock, a hob protein skimmer and plenty live rock in the tank be an okay way to run a marine tank? I really want to swap over to the salty side! Cheers for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you wanting to go reef or just FOWLR? For a reef tank, the external filter could be an issue unless you clean it very regularly. You'd also need lighting obviously. For a FOWLR, I think the system as you describe it would work fine.

What is fowlr?

Also I have t5 lighting in my tank

FOWLR is Fish Only - With Live Rock. T5s, depending on the quantity and age of the bulbs, can support some soft coral.

I would try and get a ten gallon sump and put the hob skimmer in there because it may leak. I put PVC for plumbing and an e shoppes overflow box. Then throw a filter sock at the place where the water enters the sump.

-The Reeffantic ??

If I get a ten gallon tank full of media and live rock and fit it underneath my 40 gallon is that all I need? Plus a pump to circulate the water?

You would either need to drill your 40 gallon, or get a hang on back overflow.

It's already got built in pipe work for an external filter. Hence why I was curious to see if that was enough filtration without a sump

it depends on what you are doing, as I stated above. If you want coral, I wouldn't recommend it. If you just want a FOWLR tank, it is probably fine.

Back
Top Bottom