The Thriller in Manila Volitan vs Miniatus (pic enclosed)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bassoonguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I caught a picture of some of the aggressive behaivor of these two fish.. I've tried moving things around, ect. to no avail.. it's not outright aggression.. but the lion keeps the grouper cornered almost all the time.. "shadows' him around the tank.. any suggestions?

I think they will get used to each other. It's just some posturing right now. Lions aren't known to be aggresive as much as they are hungry, he's probably trying to figure out if the grouper will go down easy or not :wink:

great pic. like to see aggressive tank photos. i just started one. ive got a dwarf zebra lion. Ufortunatly I dont know if I can add anything else considering its only a 20 gallon.

Hmm.. been thinking about the hunger thing.. only problem with that is that the lion actually presents spines first to the grouper.. lions don't do this to prey.. they sneak up and gulp them

feed him more, and more often....mine is huge, has small tankmates, never bothers them as he is never hungry.

How often do you feed and how much? I wa told feeding every other day until the lion is no longer interested in food was the proper route

well, I feed every night, he eats every night, so does the snowflake eel. Neither have shown any hostility towards the other fish in the tank. There is even a tomato clown that is continually swimming around the Lion. He apparently feels quite safe.

I have been told not to feed daily, but frankly, if it keeps the peace, I will do it.
I mix my own food made from scallops, shrimp, fish, squid and garlic oil. He eats anywhere from 3-5 hunks of a little bigger than 1 inch pieces each evening. It has been my experience with both the Lion and the Eel that they will not assume a hunting posture unless I havent fed them.

Incidently, he is target fed so that I know he has eaten. He has added at least an inch, if not two, in length in the last couple of months.

I dont see a problem feed the lion everyday as long as you keep up with your weekly 10% water change. The reason Ive heard not to feed them everyday is because of the amount of waste they produce. Your water changes should keep that in check though.

Back
Top Bottom