The worst night ever... Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all, I knew everything was going to well and now all heck has broken loose in my tank. I really need some help.. First off the tank has been up about 3 mos and I had coarline everywhere about 2 weeks ago it was amazing. Well then the Hair Algea showed up and my sand is even covered. Ha ha not to big a deal. My real problem is That on monday night, Our new kitten (I am guessing) got behind the tank and started playing with the cords. Well us being asleep this caused some major issues, a powerhead fell into the sand off of my Aqua C Remora you can imagine what a disaster that was and somhow ( am guessing from the tugs on the cord one of the legs on my coralife aqualight popped off falling into the tank well the light came down on one corner and even though I got the leg back the screw is long gone.. Ha ha you still with me? Check this out when the light fell the heater broke ( I dunno what was going on downstairs but it must have been a kitten gone wild) So on top of the sandstorm which made it so I could not see into the tank the heater stopped working I dounno if it was from the light falling on it or what the temp fell to 70 and one of the glass tops spider webbed. ( I woke up feeling like I was in a bad sitcom it was just to outragous to believe all this happened at once.) Well after threatning to take the cat to the pound or dropping him outside a chinese restruant I took the day off of work and began the clean up. The fish A flame angel and the Hippo seem ok once it all setteled down. It took till about 7 pm for the tank to be clear enough to see through in there. Both shrimp made it. Got a new heater water temp came back up as well. Rock is all covered in sand but really that is not a whole lot less pleasent to look at than the hair algea. Cleaned all the sand that stuck to the algea on the front of the glass off. Made another small sand storm everyone went crazy decided that that was good enough no need to further stress the fish, sides and back still look bad. Ok well my one coral the Bubble is not looking all that good. He was all out and beautiful when I went to bed and still now he looks bad gave him some krill on Tuesday but that is always a challenge even if I get the shrimp all krilled up first they always seem to want what I have given the bubble and of course it takes him like an hour to swallow so I literally have to fend off the shrimp. The problem is they do not fear me they eat out of my hand so they kinda jump up on my hand and keep right on going to the bubble. Let me tell you it's an adventure. I am thinking seeing as how he was inflated when I went to bed at about 10 and the lights don't go off till 11 and all that sand was in the water depending on when he deflated he had a bunch of sandy water in him. A few bubbles finally sprung up yesterday so there was minor improvement but will he naturally dispell this sand? I cannot belive that they don't get sand in them in the wild everyonce in a while due to a tropical storm or what have you. I did a waterchange yesterday that is what prompted him to briefly inflate a few bubbles (like 45 min) then for some reason he sucked them back in. He looks alot less white and much more purpley. Do I keep trying to feed him do I just leave him? He was starting to recede from his spines which I have to say I am sick about. I can see his skeleton at the tips of his bumps. Will he just bounce back in few days? Suggestions would be great. I am planning another water change on Sat. I really need some input here. Ohh and I put a board between the tank and the wall so the cat can't get back there anymore.

Please someone help me

Doan

You have no idea... I was embarassed to ask for help yesterday or tuesday while at home but I don't wanna lose my coral cause I won't ask for help..

Doan

there's no reason to be embarassed. this is certainly a pain, just be glad no chemimcals were released in the process (such as animals knocking bottles into the tank from shelves up above) keep an eye on your critters and your water, you should be ok.

Sorry to hear that :cry: Luckily my cat just sits and watches my tanks

I am sorry for your mishap Doan. But I could not help LMAO :lol: In retrospect, reading about your mishap I am sure you will agree that if it wan't true, it would be hard to believe. I know that in a few days when your bubble is fine and feeding, you will look back at this day and chuckle yourself. I am sure everything will be fine :)

8O *Looks at own tank....covers the back from cats getting in*

Thanks for the tip! :mrgreen: Sorry for what happened. :cry:

LMAO ohhh yes if it handn't have happened to me in my living room I would never have believed it. I guess I am lucky that when I put my hand in the murk to find the powerhead I noticed that the water was really cold.. Thank god the highs in pittsburgh have been in the low teens and I realized that the heater was out too.. Or then I may have just had muddy fishcicles when it finally cleared. But yes even though it is a bit stressful the calamity of it all is funny. I mean come on, it got so bad that you have to laugh just to keep from crying. The whole time the kitten Kept jumpin up on me to help like he always does.. Lets just say I am proud to say I showed the approproiate restraint and kept my sense of humor..

Thanks for your help guys.. when I am on here frantic in a few days cause my tang has ick remind me to keep laughing as I chase him around with the net for hours trying in vain to get him to QT :mrgreen:

Doan

Back
Top Bottom