Thermometer issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was doing a water change last night and have my SW curing in a 35 gallon trash can. After doing the water change, I noticed in the bottom of the trash can that my thermometer has burst and was laying in the bottom. Its the kid you buy like at petsmart that sticks to the side of the tank...By this time I had already put the water into my tank. I did notice that there was debris and rusty looking stuff stuck to the bottom of the trash can that I can to literally scrape to break loose from the bottom. I checked on my fish and shrimp this morning as well as corals and all seem to be well...anyone else have this happen? Is it ok to run carbon to remove any matter that might have gotten into the tank? I guess my concern would by the mercury? But 8 hours later all is well...any suggestions?

i've never seen a fish thermometer with mercury (silver liquid in the glass tube). I've only seen them with the red fluid which is some kind of alcohol with red dye in it.

I doubt it'll cause any issues, but running carbon certainly won't hurt anything.

Oh ok...I always thought it was mercury but now that you say this I think they do make them only with alcohol and red dye....I think I remember reading something about everyone eliminating mercury use period...
Can I run carbon with corals though??

Back
Top Bottom