They told me it would happen...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, what everyone told me would happen has finally happened :(

My damsel (think it's a Behn) is harassing my rabbitfish. The rabbitfish is 2x his size, and supposedly has venmous fins, but this damsel picks at him and chases him. I have no chance of catching this guy and I'm just hoping the rabbitfish will spike him one time to show him who's boss.

Is this normal? Why is my rabbitfish not spiking him?

Damsels are the marine equivalent of a yapping, ankle-biting chihuahua.
They have no concept of just how small and annoying they really are.

I'm pretty sure that your rabbitfish's spines are used as a passive defense.
I don't think he's going to "spike" the damsel unless the damsel runs into a spine by mistake.

Those spikes are more for a fish that can fit the rabbitfish in it's mouth. The rabbitfish would flare up and the spikes would pierce the other fish's mouth and make it spit it out. A nipping fish probably won't get stung as the spines are not penetrating the damsel's mouth.

Damsels are the marine equivalent of a yapping, ankle-biting chihuahua.
They have no concept of just how small and annoying they really are.

Amen!

Any newcomers may also get nipped at. This can cause stress and sickness sometimes. You might wanna consider the coke bottle trap method (I never used it, but some swear by it), or removing the necessary rock to get that bugger.

Funny (not really) how an $8 fish can stress/kill very expensive fish and create all that havoc in your tank. It can get worse.

I'm a little confused as to how the coke bottle trap works.

Do I buy a 2L bottle, cut the top 1/4 off and stick it upside down into the base, so that once the fish swims in, it's much harder for him to get out? I don't know how the damsel would fit through the top, I guess you need to cut part of the top off? Even then, I don't know how he would get stuck. I guess I don't fully understand it.

I also only feed pellets and seaweed, so I don't know what I'd put in there for him.

You have the concept down. Cut the hole to allow him in there and then pull the bottle out of the tank and you have him. Try soaking the food (seaweed) in garlic extreme, that might help him decide that there is something tasty in the bottle.

alright, I have personally used this method and it worked like a charm (to catch a pseudochromis, much like your damsel friend)

Take a 2 liter coke bottle. Cut the upper third off, then turn it upside down. Put some food in it, and maye some weights to keep it on the bottom. Your damsel will go in and get the food and then you just raise the bottle and you got him.

Oh, also, you'll want to punch some small holes about a third up from the bottom so that when you pull the coke bottle up, water drains out to that level.

Also, the real key here is this--don't feed your damsel for two or three days beforehand so he's reaaaaaal hungry. I guarantee you he'll find his way in.

Also, you can tie a string to the top of the bottle for easy removal. I also had to widen the opening a bit to help my fishie find the hole to go through (not the smartes fish)

Works like a charm and happy hunting.

Then proceed directly to LFS with pesky damsel.

Ok, that's exactly what I thought I'd need to do.

I don't want to use seaweed because that's the main food for my tang and rabbitfish and I don't want to have them go inside.

We constructed a similar trap with a bottle, paper taped in a cone shape and rotten banana peels to end a fruit fly infestation :)

Dr.Nate said:
Oh, also, you'll want to punch some small holes about a third up from the bottom so that when you pull the coke bottle up, water drains out to that level.
That's an awesome piece of advice! I wouldn't have thought of that....well maybe after about 3 or 4 times, until I got sick of cleaning up the water and then posted on aa! LOL!

roka64 said:
Dr.Nate said:
That's an awesome piece of advice! I wouldn't have thought of that....well maybe after about 3 or 4 times, until I got sick of cleaning up the water and then posted on aa! LOL!

although I would like to take credit for that, I cannot. I learned it right here on AA--best site ever!

Dr.Nate said:
although I would like to take credit for that, I cannot. I learned it right here on AA--best site ever!
Agreed!!

Back
Top Bottom