Thief Urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
So after I got my frags I realized I was in a bit of a pickle due to an issue in the tank they were going to go into.

So I added them to my 15G but there is an Urchin. A Collector aka Halloween Urchin, and as my friend calls him, a street Urchin (thief, maybe new name is Aladdin).

I situated things in hopes of not having a problem. Fed the urchin several Fern leaves of Calurpa and some Grape as well.

Mr. Innocent
60074-albums13960-picture68572.jpg

I happened to be posting in "What did you do with your tank today" thread about him and the frags and look over to see him at the edge of the big rock where I tucked in my new Green Toadstool Leather. I run over to see what is happening, I see him attach his tentacles to the Leather and pull it up onto his shell out of the little crook/ledge he was stuck in. Then a minute or two later after he got off the ledge, he attached to 2 more. Now he has all three and is trying to take off in the direction of the other 2 :facepalm:

60074-albums13960-picture68575.jpg

Funny and not funny Those frags cost money and I don't want him dragging my Sunset Montipora all over the rocks scratching it up/killing it. My Pinwheels Zoa isn't gonna like that either, though the Toadstool looks like he is having a little fun riding up top like that.

60074-albums13960-picture68571.jpg

So how should I get those off now with out injuring anybody?

Other than cement them down (putting in new light and will need to adjust them) or get rid of the Urchin; Other ideas?

I might have to move some things around and figure what I can do with the Urchin till I get the 12G rimless garden figured out (had an accident with a polyp releasing some toxin and bleaching out several corals - so nervous about putting anything new in there yet.

Do you think the Urchin can go into a 5G SW Chi nano for a few days?

Last edited:
Or just glue the urchin for his crimes ;) haha coral glue is the best and always saves me from my snails

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Used the tweezers and got the frags off with gentle movement. Will try the glue for the frags.

Fed the urchin more red and Fern.Calerpa and let him stick some of it to his shell hoping it will keep him happy.

Used the tweezers and got the frags off with gentle movement. Will try the glue for the frags.

Fed the urchin more red and Fern.Calerpa and let him stick some of it to his shell hoping it will keep him happy.

Make sure you use super glue gel (I prefer loctite brand). As hank said it cures quick, but the frags are still easily removable should you need to

Make sure you use super glue gel (I prefer loctite brand). As hank said it cures quick, but the frags are still easily removable should you need to

Thanks Hank and Red, I think I have Super Glue gel but I am happy to get the other kind. It doesn't seem very thick.

Aladdin, the street Urchin ate all of the extra algae already. I am going to try some seaweed sheets or something because I can't grow the Fan Calerpa fast enough to feed the hungry monster. I think I will try an algae wafer too to see if he will eat it, since I already have that. Maybe look through the misc. Marine foods and see what might work, I have some samples still from Macna.

Anybody have good recommendations for feeding the "starving" marauder?

I gave my urchin a couple dime sized chunks of flat crushed shell so he'll carry that around instead of harvesting my polyps. Over a month now and he's still carrying the shells

Back
Top Bottom