Thin layer of CC as a high flow substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Setting up a new tank and am tired of sand but dont' know if I want to go Starboard barebottom, basically due to finding the material and having it cute for my 95 wave tank. I also like the apperance of a substarte so I"m thinking a 1/4-1/2" layer of cc that I could just stir up every once in a while of vaccum to get rid of detritus.

Do many do this, or should I just find starboard somewhere?

Here is a place that sells it:
www.cuttingboardcompany.com

You could cut it yourself with a band saw, if you have one.

I think the coralline will look cool after it starts growing on it.

I have sand. I tried CC, it got dirty and was a pain to clean, it will also limit your clean up crew and any other critters that like the sand. I think, if you are going with a small amount, like you said, it might still be relatively easy to keep white and nice looking.
Whatever you decide, pleas post pics.

I think I might do that....

I was also considering faux sand bed, any links on that?

You could probably google it. I found a bunch, it sounds interesting. One site I saw had an epoxy with the sand on the top. I like blennys and other critters, that like the sand.

Ordered starboard, gonna give it a try, I'll post some pics :)

I still think it would get blown around....and I'm don't want detritus to get trapped in the sand either. I think I'll just keep the plain white starboard for now and if I don't like it I can add a real think layer of a larger substrate material.

Back
Top Bottom