Thinking about a Bamboo shark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well it was sharks that actually got me in to salt water tanks, and 150g and 35+ fish later I'm thinking of getting another tank for my new office.

I really like the idea of having a shark and wanted to know what good tank mates are for them? I've seen videos on the net with all sorts of fish in the mix, but wasn't sure what you could actually get away with safely.

Also, is they any problems that I should look out for, or be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

iv had 2 bamboo sharks, i have little fish with both of them, i hached both of them form a egg and i alway feed them him with sliver sides and squid on a stick since they was feed like that they thought that was the only way he could get food, they never bothered any of the fish, but it depend on the temper to, no all of them are perfect, what i would do is put the fish you want in the tank and then add the shark, and make sure you get it from an egg so when he haches he will most likly not eat its tank mates when he gets bigger. but thats my opinion. hope it helps :)

iv had 2 bamboo sharks,
What happened to them? They have a 20+ yr life span.

What shark is best for me??
This question is asked all the time by aquarists who want sharks. But the answer is not quite as simple as people think. There are many different types of sharks (around 357 to be exact). There are a few different families of sharks that will suit the beginning shark keeper. I will describe the two best shark families; these are what many experts consider the heartiest sharks. Yes, there are many other fine types of sharks, but these are the easiest to keep and are readily available to the common saltwater enthusiast.

Family Hemiscylliidae– Bamboo & Epaulette
These sharks fair well in a tank between 220-350 gallons. This family has 3 species that show up in U.S. aquarium shops on a regular basis. These sharks stay small - their average maximum length is about 41.7 inches. One advantage of Family Hemiscylliidae is that they spent most of their time in tide pools, where space is limited and water is warm. For this family, water temperature should be between 72-82 degrees F.
“Best” sharks in Family Hemiscylliidae:
1. White-Spotted Bamboo Shark- max. length is 37 inches. Minimum tank size is 220 gallons.
2. Brownbanded Bamboo Shark– max. length is 40.6 inches. Minimum tank size is 220 gallons.
3. Epaulette Shark– max. length is 41.7 inches. Minimum tank size is 260 gallons.

Family Heterodontidae-Bullhead Sharks
This family of shark gets its name from the “hump” or ridges on the top of its head. All members of this family have spines on their dorsal fin. Many aquarists find these sharks faces “cute”. This fondness for the shark creates a bond between owner and fish. I have seen expert aquarists feed these animals by hand and even stroke their sides. I do not recommend this practice for any new shark keepers. This species of shark may be “cute” looking but never the less it IS a natural predator. This isn’t a dog or cat, it’s a fish with jaws that can crush sea urchins. A finger would be like a toothpick. Of all the members of this family, the Horn Shark (Heterodontus francisci) is the most commonly encountered in U.S. fish shops. The average length of sharks in this family is rather large. Yes, the Horn Shark does stay at a nice 40 inches or so, but the Crested Port Jackson Shark can reach 3.5 feet while the Port Jackson Shark has been reported at lengths of 5.5 feet!! Sharks in the family Heterodontidae need a tank that stays cool, between 57– 70 degrees F.
“Best” shark in Family Heterodontidae
1. Horn Shark– Maximum length is 46.2 inches. Minimum tank size is 280 gallons.

they got to big for my 120 i know a guy with a 6000gal shark tank, i raised them for his tank, i have them for about a year and they got to be 21in long , so they are nice and happy in a big tank :)

Cc capt, the info you ve given on the different sharks is from wetwebmedia rite ? I remember reading the exact same thing on there

My friend owns a fish store and hatched a bamboo shark in their 400g display tank. The tank had at least a hundred fish and coral. The shark lived there for about three years. When he went to a 2000g tank he was 30 inches long. He was well fed and never messed with any coral or fish. Having said that. The next one he hatched ate fish for snacks. In two months he just about cleared the tank.

Back
Top Bottom