THinking about adding more LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanicsublimat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about adding some more LR, prolly bout 20lbs, putting me at 105lbs... How would I go about doing this? I don't really have a place to quarantine the rock, and I'm gonna prolly get the Gulf rock from lr.com so I don't think there should be too much dieoff.. what is the usual procedure and what is a taylor made one that may be a feasible way for me to add it..

LR.com recommends putting their rock right into the main. If shipping times are less then 20hrs this is ussually not a problem. Longer then a day or if your shipment gets delayed you will have more die off and it is best re-cured before going into the main.

Curing means putting the rock in a basin of salt water (You can buy a plastic tub for $10 at Target). If you have an air stone or prefferably a power head, hook it up and throw it in for circulation. Add a small heater to keep the temp around 77-78 and change about a third of the water every few days. Do this for about 10-14 days and it should keep from creating any kind of ammonia spike. Some hobbyists rinse and dislodge loose die off in the beginning. Up to you but I would probably cure the rock just to be on the safe side even if they say it's cured.

Back
Top Bottom