thinking about an anemome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

douggiestyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
got nothing better to do accept think about fish (am i an addict). so im researching anemones. are they dangerous to other fish? what is the best placement? contemplating hetera magnifica (sp)? plus a clown or two? (you know a nemo...ouch!)

my thought was placing on floor of tank in a high water flow area (got a place all picked out). will the high water flow (high water flow? i mean it makes stuff move) stress the anemone? or fish? or both? will there be enough lighting?

are they dangerous to other fish?

Different anenomes have differnt levels of sting but yes they have the potental to sting and paralize fish.

what is the best placement?

Some types like a sandy bottom to burry their foot in. Others like a hard rocky surface to secrure to. This will depend on the speices you select. All in all if it does not like where it it then the anenome will move. Dont put it back after it moves because it will just move again.

Please go into more detail about your lighting. How many watts? Whats the specitrum of the bulbs?

Please go into more detail about your lighting. How many watts? Whats the specitrum of the bulbs?
apx 250w of pc lighting 1/2 10,000k 1/2 actinic
contemplating hetera magnifica
do you know if this requires a sandy bottom? (at the beach, i get a sandy bottom :roll: )

douggiestyle said:
apx 250w of pc lighting 1/2 10,000k 1/2 actinic
Not enough light for most all types of hosting anemones. If PC, then 4x96w would be enough or even 4x110w VHO.
contemplating hetera magnifica
do you know if this requires a sandy bottom? (at the beach, i get a sandy bottom
They hate the sand. Heteractis magnifica preferes hard surfaces only, brisk water movement and intense light. If you tried to keep this anemone with the light you have now, it will wander continuously and most probablely end up climbing the glass to get closer to the light source.

How old is the tank set up?

Cheers
Steve

What trace elements should be monitored for an anemone? (I don't have any corals, so I don't currently monitor any of them.) :p

Gauge said:
What trace elements should be monitored for an anemone?
None. Regular water changes will replenish anything needed. Extra additions would be unneccessary and possibley harmful. Other than that, keeping the water quality as high as possible would be the best recommendation...

Cheers
Steve

I would quite honestly suggest you wait much lnger before you decide to add an anemone if at all. It has been my experience that they will not fair well in younger tanks and the odds are greatly increased for their survival in a more matured and stable tank. For now I would suggest doing as much research as possible on the various types. I know many say this but it is definately true, they do not survive the home aquarium well even if all the proper precautions are taken. Many are damaged in collection and handled very poorly during transport and holding. Most do not survive...

Cheers
Steve

I would quite honestly suggest you wait much lnger before you decide to add an anemone if at all
point taken.
For now I would suggest doing as much research as possible on the various types

what about condys? do they have symbiotic relationships or are they just fish killers?
also is there someplace to gain info on different species using the web?

douggiestyle said:
what about condys? do they have symbiotic relationships or are they just fish killers?
They will not readily host fish but it has been known to happen. I would not gear towards that though. On the otherhand, anemone shrimp and porcelain crabs will inhabit these anemones. Haitians would be a better choice than the atlantic species of condylactis though.

also is there someplace to gain info on different species using the web?
Basically google searchs with the latin name would yield the best results. I find more often than not specific info can be quite conflicting but "general" care is usually fairly accurate...

Cheers
Steve

will the other fish in the tank leave anemones alone or is there danger of them getting eaten?

Depends on the fish and anemone. In general though both will be safe unless the fish is a risk taker stealing food. Anemone's are opportunistic feeders and will grab anything that wanders into their scope of influence. Not much different than a spiders web really. Aggressive non reef friendly fish should not be housed with any type of anemone. They will easily damage the anemone trying to snack on it or get themselves stung at the very least.

I have a Haitian in my 27 with a sharknose goby, strawberry dotty and TR true perc. All well and happy.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom