This is my last go at BTAs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moderate water flow, lots of lights and good parameter are just what it needs to stay put. My anemone stays on the same spot where I drop him since day one.

One word to explain why.....anemones. They are like a kid they get bored sometimes and want to move around. I've never had one stay put very long but I use vortechs in my tank so my flow is never the same day to day

Have to disagree with this, if conditions are right, they never move around, my oldest one has been in the same spot for 6 years and my other 3 have been in the same spot for 2 years. They have no brain, they cant get bored, if they move its because they are looking for better conditions.

Like I said I run two vortechs not synced together on reef crest so they are always making different flows. Theoretically it's never the same

Like I said I run two vortechs not synced together on reef crest so they are always making different flows. Theoretically it's never the same

I also run on/off reverse power heads and the ocean is also constantly moving and changing directions, IMHO if conditions are right they stay, if they move constantly. than tank conditions are not right in my opinion

Ok we'll it's moved about once a month for the last 2 1/2 years and has cloned 3 times. I'm sure he's happy. I check parameters every week and haven't added any fish in 6 months. I'm pretty sure they have a mind of their own brain or not. One month he wants to be blasted right in front of an mp40 and next month he wants to hide in the rock work. Always takes food. Inflates and deflates as he should. And aside from making my cleaner shrimp move out, he doesn't bother anything. Even lets my four clowns host him all at once. I watch my tank every night since its built into my wall in my living room

According to science living things like plants may not have a brain like animals but may have it in a different form found in their body cells. We know that other sea creatures like jelly fish and anemone do not have it either but they seem to act like they have one. I tend to agree with science. With regards to anemone moving around I would say they must also have their own personality.

I believe they know what is going on to an extent and their preference for flow/light can change. Hence why my RBTAs are in different areas regularly but have been alive for well over 1 year and one continues to split and heal back up. One likes to be blasted with heavy flow and lighting and the other likes a mild sway about mid way in the tank. If they didn't have a "thought" process they would all be identical and eat the same diets. This theory comes from the fact that one of my BTAs likes to :hide: and the other likes to :dance:

Have to disagree with this, if conditions are right, they never move around, my oldest one has been in the same spot for 6 years and my other 3 have been in the same spot for 2 years. They have no brain, they cant get bored, if they move its because they are looking for better conditions.
They may not have a brain like we have but they know what is good for them. They make decisions therefore they must possess something that works just like a brain.

I don't think they make conscious decisions. They simply have an involuntary response to stressors, like when you touch them and they draw back, or perhaps when 4 clowns host them.
I had a single rose bubble tip that has been in the same spot for a year but over that time has become 4 anemones, because of a single ocellaris clown.

My nem has only moved if I have adjusted the flow, and then his foot stayed in place, he just opens on the opposite side of the cave he anchored in.. if its happy it wont move, only if lights, flow or something else changed.

Just an update on the anemone, he has moved up towards the top of my rock work again. I just hope he sticks around there for the next week while I'm out of town. Thanks for all the info.

I don't think they make conscious decisions. They simply have an involuntary response to stressors, like when you touch them and they draw back, or perhaps when 4 clowns host them.
I had a single rose bubble tip that has been in the same spot for a year but over that time has become 4 anemones, because of a single ocellaris clown.
Octopus is an invertebrate just like an anemone and they do not have a brain either. So are you saying that octopus also just move with an involuntary response?

Octopus have a tight group of nerve cells that acts as a brain. Anemones do not exhibit this "intelligence".

Back
Top Bottom