this light good? need a quick reply before i buy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sir_dudeguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey, i've found this light that i might get off ebay, but i'm not sure if its any good...the price def. is...here it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/400-450watt-MET...ryZ46314QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

also, do they have 450 watt bulbs readily available for aquariums? Usually i only see the 400's, but i dont really look much since i dont have any lighting like that...

also, it comes w/a 2 year warranty, so should i get it? its for a standard 55. and what all would i be able to keep? obviosly some small stuff like gsp's and other polyps, but would i be able to get any med-high light corals?

thanks
mike

so you think i should get it? do you see anything bad about the setup, or something i should avoid on it? I mean, its does have the 2 year warranty, so if anything goes wrong, its usually early, if it were something like the jebo/oddysea...well thats what i've heard anyways. also, are 450 watt bulbs very common to find?

Just because I haven't heard of it doesn't mean it's not good but I have never heard of a 450w bulb. MHs usually come in 175w 250w and 400w. I'd be wary with all the negative feedback too. A lot of them have been mutually retracted but read through them and see for yourself. it is a good price but you get what you pay for!

Yea i wont personally buy anything off ebay unless its coming from a seller with 100% + rating with over 100 - 200 sales. Even then there are no guarentees. The old saying as mentioned above ... You get what you pay for ... there is a reason that its been around so long .. hehe

good luck if you do get it ... hope it works out.

ya i dont think i will...forgot to look at the feedback, and there probably IS a reason for its cheapness...as said above

the guy has 6 negetives and 200+positives its impossible to please everyone

i dont know about the 450 watt...MH usually only come in 400 which means if you put a 400 bulb in a 450 ballast you could blow up the bulb.

plus a batwing reflector is just a piece of metal bent in a reflector shape. its not a real hood, the growstore around here sells them for like $20, you cannot put a glass shield on them and you have to hang them from chains.

the ballast looks homemade also, thats not the typical shape.

i would at least get more pics, esp the tag on the balast that says who it was made by and what the actual wattage is.

just my 0.02$
hth

phish7740 said:
i dont know about the 450 watt...MH usually only come in 400 which means if you put a 400 bulb in a 450 ballast you could blow up the bulb.

plus a batwing reflector is just a piece of metal bent in a reflector shape. its not a real hood, the growstore around here sells them for like $20, you cannot put a glass shield on them and you have to hang them from chains.

the ballast looks homemade also, thats not the typical shape.

i would at least get more pics, esp the tag on the balast that says who it was made by and what the actual wattage is.

just my 0.02$
hth

I agree get more pics. Asks questions too! Like does he provide replacement bulbs and for how muchplus shipping? I would get a set up where the bulbs are more readily available.

Its' true he only has 6 negative feedbacks but look at all the ones that were posted then retracted. That is cause for concern.

ya i asked him about it. first i asked about replacement bulbs and where to find them...he says that he sells USED 450 watt bulbs. then i asked him what brand it was...he said it was mostly homemade, w/a few parts that were actually store bought.
I'm not gonna buy from him. the negative feedbacks for him, mostly the fact that all those ones were retracted, is making me lean away from it. It does have the 2 year warranty, ya, but idk....i've never even heard of a 450 watt bulb before, and he only sells USED ones, and for who KNOWS how long he'll have a supply of used ones.

thanks everyone for meantioning that stuff...specially the feedback...completely forgot to look, which i always look for it since i've been ripped off on there before.

Back
Top Bottom