Thomas The Octopus Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Black96WS6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've posted, thought I would give a quick Thomas update.

He's doing fine! Here's a quick summary:

1. He is hand fed.
2. Weaned onto frozen foods (uncooked fresh shrimp, mussels, squid, clams, etc)
3. He's never tried to escape, not even once.
4. He sometimes squirts water at the top of the tank to get my attention.
5. Not quite sure of his age, since he was older when I picked him up from OctoPets. However, I've had him for over 4 months now, so I'm guessing he's 7 months old.
6. I'm experimenting with a Peppermint Shrimp now to get rid of those pesky aiptasias. So far he hasn't eaten him. And I have actually seen the shrimp eat an aiptasia with my own eyes, so I'm glad I got a REAL Peppermint Shrimp and not a look-a-like. I plan on picking up another one today.
7. Picking up another piece of live rock today to fill in the left side of the tank.
8. Even though there's a nice vase, PVC tube, and pirate treasure chest, Thomas still prefers his own den at the back right of the tank.
9. I have about 4 snails in the tank that he leaves alone. But put 1 hermit crab in there and it won't last the night!

Thomas1.jpg

Thomas2.jpg

Thomas3.jpg

Thomas4.jpg

Current Setup Stats:
30 Gallon Eclipse Tall (carbon/bio-wheel/flourescent lighting)
60 Gallon-rated Berlin-type protein skimmer
30+ lbs of live rock
4 Snails
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Bimac Octopus

:)

Nice looking octopus, I've always thought they would be neat to keep. If I ever upgraded to a larger tank I would consider one, except I've heard that they can escape from even the most secure of tanks. Good luck

I'm usually just a freshie (I admit to sneaking around the saltwater forums) but I had to say that your octopus is just awesome!

Hey, thanks for the update. It has been a while. He looks great. I'm glad you've been successful. I hope he continues to thrive! :D

Wow that looks very impressive, im just getting ready to dive into the marine aquarium keeping and I have read some stuff about your little Octopus friend. Kudos to you sir, keep up the good work and give us another update soon!

I just had a spicy octopus sushi roll at a nice japanese place here in town....if Thomas ever starts to give you trouble...they're pretty tasty 8O

Exellent!.. Ive never seen one of these in a home aquarium.. :p
they can go werever they can fit there little beak though.. 8O
He must be happy=no escape attempts
I would consider anything that got in my way of keeping such a great creature the trouble.. so no eating Thomas! :p
Good Luck! and thanks for sharing! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Does he ever "ink" the tank forcing a water change? Or do you even HAVE to change the water when he does that? Just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom