Thorny Red Sea star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bleu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
At my lfs the guy reassured me this guy is reef safe. When I got home did some research and read up it is not.... Does anyone have experience with this type of star & is he going to distort my corals. Had him for about 3wks now, nothing damaged yet

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I work at a fish store. I have heard they are reef safe. Never heard of a customers hurting a coral

That great cause I love him! I saw stats on liveaquaria that said he was not be I'm glad to hear that

never trust lfs if they say somethings reef safe always do your own research as they just want to sell
thorny red sea stars are not reef safe
they will eat small inverts and fish , along with some coral
these stars can reach a size of 1 foot
these stars most likely will die of starvation in small tanks recommended size tank 90g+

Just a question

What type of lights do u have on ur main display?

At my lfs the guy reassured me this guy is reef safe. When I got home did some research and read up it is not.... Does anyone have experience with this type of star & is he going to distort my corals. Had him for about 3wks now, nothing damaged yet

The Red Thorny Sea Star requires a large aquarium with ample supplies of live rock. A small specimen will eat algae. As it grows older, however, it is not reef compatible, as it will eat soft corals, sponges, tubeworms, clams, starfish, and other invertebrates. It should not be housed with puffers.

Back
Top Bottom