Thoughts or suggestions on my latest issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
So Friday night, after a couple of drinks, my wife and I decide that my main tank is going to be all sps, and my 40 gallon is going to be the LPS tank. My 40 was basically empty so I started moving the coral over. Now, some of my LPS were totally encrusted to the live rock so I ended up transfering the rock to. In total I moved maybe 1/4 of my live rock out of the 55 and over to the 40.

Saturday, everything is normal in the 55. Fish are happy,eating, waters clear, parameters are great....

Sunday evening. The fish start acting weird. I look at the tank and notice that I can't see 4 of the 6 fish, only the pair of clowns is out. I find all the other fish hiding in rock or at the base of the tank in the back. They are all breathing heavy IMO but I don't know.

I feed and they come out and peck but half way through the feeding it's like they loose interest which they never do. They then go back to hide.

I clean out my canister filter incase it sucked up a lot of debree after removing the rock. I then do a 20% water change and really clean up the newly exposed rock. After the water change the fish come out again for like 20 minutes then all go hide again. They hid till the lights went out....

Thoughts? Mini cycle? The only test kit I didn't have was amonia.

Freaked out because of the change in rockwork?

Could my PH be swinging because of the reduced rock?

Params

Cal 420
Alk 10
Mg 1320
PH 8.2
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Phos 0

I would think either a mini cycle (no longer enough bb to deal with the bio load) or stress from re-scaping ( having to re-establish territories with a stocked tank). What else is in the tank besides the clowns and have you noticed the clowns being aggressive since removing the rock?
Edit: for not having an ammonia test you can either take a sample to lfs or test for nitrite the next couple days, if you get a nitrite spike then you had an ammonia spike (mini cycle)

Back
Top Bottom