Time for my first fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm adding two false percula clowns, they'll be the first fish in my 35 gallon tank :)

I was speaking to a guy today, and he said that it'll be ok to add these 2 fish, with them being quite hardy, even though my nitrites are still at 1ppm (and going down to 0 of course).

Is this true? I thought that ANY levels of nitrites were very harmful to fish?

FYI:

Temp: 78 - 80°F, SG: 1.023, pH: 8.2, Alkalinity: 10, Ammonia: 0, Nitrates: 15, Nitrites 1.

Cheers.

yes, you should wait until your nitrites are down to 0. then do a small water change before adding any fish. but you can get your fish now as you're going to QT them for a week anyway, right? :wink: (check out our article here on Quarantines)

OK, I'll do a 30 - 50% waterchange before I add fish then, that ok?

hehe, I wasn't going to quarantine my first two fish. Not set up my QT yet, but will for my next fish (I'm adding them slowly over 6 months).

Will wait till 'trites are at 0 then :)

What if your new fish have ich and you don't know it. Are you going to treat your show tank? You may want to rethink the quarinteen.

We're not trying to rain on your parade, only prevent you from a lot of agony if ich or a disease is introduced. That agony would be dissasembling and sterilizing tank & equip. or leave tank empty 6-8weeks. Sound like fun? This is why we preach qt, qt, qt! You can get a 10g for next to nothing, then use your main sys heater / ph. Check out the qt article, better to be safe!

OK...currently deciding what to do.

My nitrites are now at less than 1, and all other levels spot on. If they're not at 0 by tomorrow morning, which hopefully they will be (ie. a tiny bit above), would it be ok to do a 30% waterchange, then take another reading when the water has mixed in a few hours later. If nitrites are THEN 0 after the waterchange, am I ok to add fish? ie. will I have cycled?

So do you guys think that with nitrites currently being at less than 1, if I do a 30% waterchange tomorrow morning, and my nitrites are then at 0 (and all other levels correct), I can add my first 2 clowns?

:)

I actually have enough mixed saltwater to do a 40% waterchange...should I do that?

OK...Nitrites have no gone to less than 0.5ppm, hopefully they'll be down to 0 by the morning.

If they're not quite, am I ok to do a 30 - 40% waterchange to get them down, then put my 2 clowns in a few hours later when everything has settled down? Would you change 30 or 40% of the water?

Wait until the nitrites read zero on their own. I would not be in a hurry to add animals so quickly after the tank has cycled. Once the nitrites are gone, do the 30-40% water change and let the tank sit a few more days ( a week would be better) to make sure everything remains stable.

You can then either introduce the first fish after properly quarantining for 4 weeks or begin deciding on the clean up crew.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom