Time For New Fish . . . Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcquillian

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, my Hawkfish dove out of my 30 gallon fish only tank last night through an opening that would make Houdini sweat . . .

I'm bummed . . .

My tank is established. Water parameters have been excellent and consistent for the past several months.

So, all that I have in my fish only tank is (1) Yellow Tail Damsel and (1) Ocellaris Clownfish . . . I was thinking about adding one or two cleaner shrimp, as they do such a good job of keeping the sand bed clean, but I know this would keep me from getting another Hawkfish.

I'm looking for recommendations as to what fish you would add to this tank . . .

Thanks for your suggestions . . .

Well, with a tank this small, I obviously am limited to the size of fish I add. According to the fish calcualtor on this site, my tank can hold 6 inches of adult saltwater fish minus the tail. I believe this is a little conservative, but I am not going to be adding a Koran Angel. I am thinking about adding a Coral Beauty. Any othe suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

With angels, I'd guess you don't want coral. How about a royal gramma? Neon blue goby (maybe a mated pair). Check out the blennies. The bicolor hugs the rocks (got rock?), and the canary swims out front. Both 2-3" fish.

No live rock. Everything is fake. So, you think I should still look at Goby's and Blennies? What do you think about a couple of Kaudern's Cardinal fish?

Cardinal fish have never been a favorite of mine. They just sit there. Are you cleaning that fake stuff off every so often? Consider live rock. So much more diversity and realistic looking IMO. Added filtration too. Using any sand or other substrate? Maybe if you added more info about your tank setup, folks might be better able to recommend fish to live in it.

Not sure about how those fish I recommended would do with no live rock. The bicolor likes to nip at algae growth on rock and glass. The canary might still work.

You know, I would be interested in adding live rock. I do not have a very good understanding of how to do it. As far as my tank, my substrate is sand (biosand). My understanding is that I should look at cured live rock, so that it can be placed in the tank immediately. I would be willing to remove all of the fake rock and plants and move in that direction.

Is live rock difficult to maintain? Being that my tank is already established, can I add the live rock now?

I will stay away from the cardinal fish - your right. They do just sit there.

a CB angel would be a bad Idea in that tank It can get pretty big. I would suggest a second, smaller Ocellaris Clown. They do much better in pairs and their relationship with each other is very cute.

Check out Liverocks.com. I believe you can contact them from this site. Go down to the sponsor forum. Talk with Zack. They're great from the threads I've seen here.

Maybe someone can add something on their experience with established, already populated tanks and adding new live rock. Check it out. I believe you're missing out on the real saltwater experience without the rock IMO.

The rock is not something you have to maintain. Hermit crabs and snails do that for you.

Here's another thread on new rock in alrady cycled tanks. I think I'm gonna go for it soon too. After Christmas. But come to think of it, I'd better check into the cold weather thing and shipping.

Back
Top Bottom