Time to ask for help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McLain75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok...Mr. McLain and I are in need of some advice! After doing much research, we are lost as to what to do.

So here's the specs first:

20g coral only tank (with Leopard Wrasse for coral cleaning), 10# Live Sand on one half of the tank (for the Wrasse to sleep in and for some bacteria growth), 1 LR, chaeto, an HOB filter, calcium reactor, Kalk drip, 1-250w MH w/ 4 actinic's and flow pump. Nitrates 5ppm; Calcium 400ppm; Alk 16dKH; Temp 80; Ph 8.2; Mg 1430; Used One & Only to cycle tank

Our problem:

LOTS OF BUBBLES!!!!!:ermm: They are EVERYWHERE -- on the coral (especially the zoas and xenia), in the sand, on the egg crate holding the coral, the pumps, the intake to the HOB filter.....everything :banghead:

Please...Please...PLEASE help us!!!!

~Mrs. McLain75~

Your guess is as good as mine...

If they are on everything, it's kind of hard to pinpoint, ya know??

I could make some guesses. How is your calc reactor hooked up? How far below the surface is you power head? Also, how long has the tank been set up? I would take my hand and free all the bubbles, then see if they come back. It could be turbulence from you hob.

When my tank just got done cycling I added a couple of corals and fish. After that bubble came out of the rock, sand but not out of the coral. I don't think it is anything to worry about right now. If it does not go away in a couple of weeks then try something else. I was told it was gases coming out of the rocks and sand that made the bubbles.

Tank has been up and running say 2-3 weeks now, 1 week with additions, Calcium Reactor is a question for Mr. McLain75...
Power head is 3/4 into tank (it is a 20H tank), no turbulance from HOB as it is literally almost under the water (as that was my fear when he first put it on) Now we did have a canister filter attached at first and we thought that was the cause of the bubbles, so we took it out and switched to the HOB.
Maybe it's just me being narcissistic about EVERYTHING right now on these tanks (lots of $$ put into them ya know!).

Thanks guys for all your suggestions! Means a lot to at least me to know there's others who can at least give their opinions!

~Mrs. McLain75~

2-3 weeks? Being brand new i'd say its just part of the cycle you're seeing. I remember my new tank doing the buble thing and gases were created and life forms began...

Do you have other tanks? If so I'd move the coral and the fish for a few weeks until the new tank has cycled.

Back
Top Bottom