Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. I'm jumping on the bandwagon. Lol. I've had a 30 gal drilled tank up and running with nothing but inverts for about 6 months now. I'm going to make it an angler tank. I'm thinking just rock and plants. Do you have any other fish in there? I'm thinking maybe a matted filefish and that's it. In your experience do you think this would work?

Great to hear- these are awesome fish... We keep this up and we may have to change the name to AAA - Angler and Aquarium Advice!

I'm planning a reef with mainly softies, leather, zoos, mushrooms, sponges, and macro algae.

TLTGF said:
Great to hear- these are awesome fish... We keep this up and we may have to change the name to AAA - Angler and Aquarium Advice!

I'm planning a reef with mainly softies, leather, zoos, mushrooms, sponges, and macro algae.

I actually got the idea for a macro tank from lfs hopping. I've seen quite a few anglers beautifully blended in with different plants. I don't have a lot of experience with anglers and was hoping it wasn't bad for the beauty.

Wow that's crazy.... Thank you I will do it next time but if he never leaves the water how do you know if he needs to burp
He literally looks like a balloon and is at the surface of the water and can't sink back down ..You will definitely know if they gulp air
Ok. I'm jumping on the bandwagon. Lol. I've had a 30 gal drilled tank up and running with nothing but inverts for about 6 months now. I'm going to make it an angler tank. I'm thinking just rock and plants. Do you have any other fish in there? I'm thinking maybe a matted filefish and that's it. In your experience do you think this would work?
Only ones that will become food..Sooner or later he'll get the firefish..I have seen anglers with fish hanging out of there mouths till they can work it down.
I would only keep an angler and thats it

FTMMWS said:
He literally looks like a balloon and is at the surface of the water and can't sink back down ..You will definitely know if they gulp air

Only ones that will become food..Sooner or later he'll get the firefish..I have seen anglers with fish hanging out of there mouths till they can work it down.
I would only keep an angler and thats it

Ok. That works for me too! Lol. He's gonna have a tank all to himself.

Well after getting my maxijet working properly I have decided that, in my BC I will have enough flow, just with the return that I won't need to add another PH - save me $235...

Here is a pic of what's happening to my sand with the maxijet return pointed to the front glass and the surface.

Attachments

• image-63396158.jpg
    image-63396158.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 116
Ahh I hate that . You should see the mounds of sand that get pushed around in my tank. It's very frustrating .

Hondatek said:
Ahh I hate that . You should see the mounds of sand that get pushed around in my tank. It's very frustrating .

Lol. Try having two engineers and a wrasse. Then add the flow- my tank constantly looks like someone dropped bombs underneath the live rock

I'll consider myself lucky then...

Here are today's readings...

Ammo: 0ppm, Trite: 0ppm, Trate: 80ppm

Is it normal for nitrAtes to drop during cycle?

I was so excited to see the trites drop from 5.0 - 0 that I tested twice to confirm.

Attachments

• image-2177414120.jpg
    image-2177414120.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 89
See,i actually like that look..All uneven and wavy ,,looks more natural ..I purposely position a couple PH's to cause this effect

TLTGF said:
I'll consider myself lucky then...

Here are today's readings...

Ammo: 0ppm, Trite: 0ppm, Trate: 80ppm

Is it normal for nitrAtes to drop during cycle?

I was so excited to see the trites drop from 5.0 - 0 that I tested twice to confirm.

Do you have any macro algae? That would drop the trates during the cycle.

Nothing in the tank yet other than rock, sand, return pump, PH (not on), heater (not on)... That's why I was confused.

FTMMWS said:
See,i actually like that look..All uneven and wavy ,,looks more natural ..I purposely position a couple PH's to cause this effect

I like the natural look as well, BUT I would like it to look natural within the whole tank, not just an 8" section at the front glass with virtually the glass bottom showing ;) I'll reposition the nozzle and see if I can distribute the flow better.

That is odd. On my 180 cycle even though I dose ammo daily my trates never got above 20. I had cheato in the sump and a dsb in the display so I figured that took care of them.

Yeah my ammo went to 3.0, trites were at 5.0+ and trates were off the chart for over a week, now as you see above its 0,0,80... I guess I shouldn't complain!

FTMMWS said:

Only the moonlights are on... But you can see the sandbed outline

img_1915958_0_b6d3c9f5ce8806f184dcceb8b0277ff9.jpg

img_1915958_1_527577cb3c7adce48107da2d054b025e.jpg

img_1915958_2_cbdf2f01d53f30b3b0c8872db44a9810.jpg

Back
Top Bottom