Tim's 40 Breeder MOWLR build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too late... I caved and went back to the 40. It'll be here Friday. I just felt more comfortable with added stability, better size to accommodate filter, and more height for more Mantis exploring.

Plus it was only $15 more.

Haha hey, nothing wrong with that. Peacock mantis is the same as clown mantis, correct?

Ya, I'm following...not just due to me loving Tim's builds, but wanting a mantis tank too. There is a zebra mantis that I saw on LA, I think, that I wish I could have. I'm dreaming of a fowlr system that flows down into a mantis tank.

I'll tell ya, the more I get into this stuff, the easier and cheaper its getting. Virtually minimal costs for everything. I've seen a video lately about a peacock in a 50 gallon refugium on YouTube that was very cool. Not sure how that works with the light though.

Here's a link to a good amount of info for most mantis species:

Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

with a lot of good caves, many are able to provide more lighting without disturbing the mantis much. (just going from reading, no experience)

Good decision with the larger tank. I've never said man I wish I had a smaller tank. You never know for the future. And I've seen mantis tanks with soft corals also they just used individual spot lights lighting up the corals... It's an idea

I see them ever now and then free diving. One was hanging out halfway out of his hole you could get about six inches from it and just examine it. They are awesome!!! Following

LFS called and they got in my 40 breeder today. I'll go in the morning to pick it up. I found a picture of the same tank I am getting. Don't remember if I mentioned before but I didn't go rimless since I'm going to have to put a mesh top on since these guys can jump. Also much easier on the wallet. This tank is made by Deep Blue. They use the black silicone which I like the look of.

Attachments

• Deep blue.jpg
    Deep blue.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 107
Also here is my burrow I made. I took Dr. Roy Cadwell's suggestion that he gave for mimicking the peacock mantis's burrow. This started as a 2" ID, 90 degree, schedule 40, rigid, non-metallic conduit. It's approximately 6" deep from bend to opening and 18" from one end to the other. Ill need to make my sandbed about 6" deep to accommodate which makes me thankful I upgraded to the 40.

Here is a picture after I cut the ends at 45 degrees to be flush with surface of sandbed.

Attachments

• image-2284772822.jpg
    image-2284772822.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 109
Just to heed the warning that I found to any that mimic this approach:

"While there are different grades of pvc and some are considered less toxic than others, I have never had trouble with using white, grey or black. However, you do have to worry about contamination from oils and other materials that might get on the pipe in the hardware store or lumber yard. I've seen various oils and grease on or in pipe as well as pesticides and other miscellaneous goo! I also worry about some of the ink used to mark the pipe. As a precaution, I usually scrap or sand off markings and soak the pipe in really hot water for a day or two. Do not use soap or other solvents. Quite frankly, if it looks like I wouldn't want to eat off of it, I don't use it in a small closed system."

I used a polishing wheel to take the print off the tube. I'm also going to soak in the hot water as suggested.

Normally I wouldn't take so many precautions, but I've read from Roy that he lost an entire lab from some janitor polishing the floors. Apparently, while these creatures aren't nearly as fragile as some people allude to, they are more susceptible to aerosols, and other chemicals.

Picked up my (40) B today. Went to Petco as they're the only place I've found that stocks 40 Breeder stands. The only two they had were straight garbage, so DIY it is. I found a thread in RC that had a pretty good write-up.

Save some big loot and it'll be nicer in the end.

I fed a crayfish to the mantis today, but he just killed it, brought it into his burrow and left it and went to his other burrow... He did also eat 5 ghost shrimp, and I just added three medium turbo snails.

Also took some random shots. Here they are:

Attachments

• image-1249149849.jpg
    image-1249149849.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3346218330.jpg
    image-3346218330.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 108
  • image-728477024.jpg
    image-728477024.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 150
  • image-2395970961.jpg
    image-2395970961.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 148
Made some progress on the stand today.

Got the frame built and skinned. Next weekend - make doors, trim, add floor, add shelf, paint.

Lots to do. Then possibly adding a canopy too.

I can't post pics right now since I'm over my size quota and I have no idea how to delete on phone... Ill just go to regular site.

Here are pics of progress followed by the stand I am mimicking.

Attachments

• image-3952174165.jpg
    image-3952174165.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 117
  • image-4076382584.jpg
    image-4076382584.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2098221188.jpg
    image-2098221188.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image-3133027893.jpg
    image-3133027893.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image-141151343.jpg
    image-141151343.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image-937777705.jpg
    image-937777705.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 90
Thought I would breakdown my build cost thus far:

Tank - $77
AC70 Filter - $50
40 lbs crushed coral substrate $10
Tunze PH - Transfer from frag tank or Koralia 750, have 4 in boxes - Free (sunk cost)
Rock - Have plenty leftover from the Biocube purchase - Free (Sunk cost)
Heater - Purchased for BioCube, not needed - Free (Sunk cost)

Stand:
1/2" 4x8' sheet of sandeply - $33
Soft-close hinges - $18
Screws - 3" and 1.25" - $13.50
Corner trim - $5
(3) 2x4's - $7
(2) 10' 4x4's - Free - from friend
16' poplar 4" trim - free - from friend
(2) custom doors 24" x 15" - Free from friend

1 QT Black semi-gloss Paint - $10
Rollers - $5
Kilz Primer - Free from friend

Mantis Shrimp - Free - Christmas gift

Lighting - If I use any it will be either my existing Aquaticlife 4-bulb fixture, or a $5 LED strip from IKEA. - Free -> $5

Total Build cost so far: $233.50

:dance:

I forgot the $2.50 for the Conduit for the burrow!

Total: $236.00

Additional costs:

Possible Canopy addition - $$
More substrate depending on how I end up - $$
ATO and Water jug - $100

Back
Top Bottom