Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From my perspective, it is certainly worth the wait. My standard black MDF stand isn't bad IMO, but to have a beautiful furniture grade stand like that... WOW.

All I can say is that if the inside of your tank looks as good as the outside does, I will be thoroughly jealous! (y)

I'm going to use the wood base the tank is sitting on and probably the bottom aswell. I honestly thought about getting kinda wild with the stand since I'd be doing all the welding and have the materials, my thought was it would save so much money but I really think I'm going to reuse almost everything from my current stand. The door is a curved glass door that uses those little pinch bolts and a hole to mount them and the front sides are molded plastic that sort of snap around the wood next to the door & the back. The biggest change that anyone will really notice would be that I'm going to raise the main display 6-8 inch maybe a little more depending on how it looks. I plan to make a cubby hole/shelf with the 8 or so inchs between the original top and new top if that makes any sense.

TL Ihope my tank will be to your status someday. I'm gonna take it slow and see what happens. Thanks for the compliments

Kc, I do have an idea of your plans. How tall is your current stand.I will have 36" of space under mine. My plans are to put a DIY 23Lx13wx16h sump with a ask g1x Skimmer and Rio 2500 returns pump. For my refuge im gonna build a stand so that the refuge will gravity flow into my return chamber of my sump. My overflow line would be Tee'd off 1 for the refuge and 1 for the sump. The sump and the refuge would be L shaped with the refuge sitting above the sump for gravity purposes. Hopefully that makes sense. I will post pics once completed. Prob wont be able to start on that project for at least a week or so.

Update:

No sign of Blenny - Will be contacting LA tonight :(

Nitrate Battle - I just performed a 21 gallon (39%) water change. I tested the water immediately following and found I have dropped from 30-40ppm down to 5-10 (Closer to 5). Now if I can sustain that I will feel much better.

I am waiting currently for the tank to settle down - some sand got kicked up due to the fact that when you remove 21 gallons from a 54 gallon tank its pretty empty. This means that when adding the water back, it is easier for the flow to reach the bed.

The biggest downside I see to doing such a large water change is that my tank now looks as though there was an epic battle between Venom and Spidey, since all of the corals decided to slime EVERYWHERE. It was the craziest I've ever seen.

image-2192474243.jpg

image-1374821416.jpg

image-836872075.jpg

I figures I'd just snap a couple of current shots of my S & F. How did the world make it without a iPhone. LoL
my sump is 8w x 21L x 18H = 13 gal "ish" I keep water lvl @ 15" making it 10 gals. leaves me 3 gallons of back flow from display.
The Fug is 13" cube but 23 tall making it 16.5 gal & I have over flow @ 20" into sump. That makes it a even 15 gallons with 1 gallon back flow room. In total I get 4 1/2 gallons that can come back from display in case something happen. I have not tested it yet but the level of my overflow in the main tank should cut off at about 4 gallons with the 90 on the bulkhead.

Update:

No sign of Blenny - Will be contacting LA tonight :(

I am waiting currently for the tank to settle down - some sand got kicked up due to the fact that when you remove 21 gallons from a 54 gallon tank its pretty empty. This means that when adding the water back, it is easier for the flow to reach the bed.

hope blenny shows is face. My tank is in a sort of battle right now also, I guess I moved enough rock and added a tankmate "7th fish" so everything is fighting for a place now! :facepalm:

Kc, I think The universe read your post. I came out today, and got the number for LA to call about the blenny. I sat down and hit send. I happened to look over and...

Yup... He showed "his face" lol. I am a very happy camper at the moment.

This thread should have it's own sub forum. lol I log in and this is my 1st spot. I post more update on my tank in your thread than anywhere else! lol

Kc - I agree, us 54's are rare and gotta stick together. I'm still waiting on Katoom's review of the ecotech radion LED. I'm wanting to switch to "high-tech" LED's and MP-10's, but I'm still on the fence.

Rob - thanks! I've been eyeing the plate for awhile, as I've been wanting blue corals and there aren't many options. The acro is on the small side, but it fit where I had room so no complaints. It is hard to tell in the pic, but the big Acro is orange with green polyps, and the little guy I just got is green with green polyps.

Same here, huge fan... It's $60 off, but after shipping its still $125... Maybe I'll hold off for a week. If it's still there, I'll pull the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom