tiny bugs in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marty20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently noticed that there were this tiny bugs moving around my rocks but didn't know what to think of them as they are so small (maybe 1-3mm) in length. Well the other day I noticed the bottom of my acropora coral wasn't looking good and so I started to watch it closer. I noticed that these bugs were crawling around that part of my coral. They look like plankton from spongebob but because they are so small I can't get a good picture of them. Any ideas on what they are and how to get rid of them?

I should add that I don't think they are copepods

I think they resemble the red bugs you mentioned. Im gonna have my girlfriend come take a look since im colorblind and can't tell the color of them. If they are those how do you recommend getting rid of them?

Never had them so I don't know off hand. I'm sure you can find a solution online. I believe that they are difficult to get rid of. You will likely need to QT your coral.

I think they resemble the red bugs you mentioned. Im gonna have my girlfriend come take a look since im colorblind and can't tell the color of them. If they are those how do you recommend getting rid of them?

Look for predators of the red bugs. They will always have a predator. If they are anything like Copepods then try getting a Mandarin Goby. Those guys hunt down those things down.

Look for predators of the red bugs. They will always have a predator. If they are anything like Copepods then try getting a Mandarin Goby. Those guys hunt down those things down.

I believe the dragon face pipefish is their predator. That opens up a whole new care level though.

I believe the dragon face pipefish is their predator. That opens up a whole new care level though.

If he has a non aggressive reef tank. He could easily get one of those. I've had pipe fish before and try lived just fine in my nano reef.

I have 2 clownfish in my 20 gallon tank. I'll look into the pipefish a little more. Also the goby.

I have 2 clownfish in my 20 gallon tank. I'll look into the pipefish a little more. Also the goby.

You should have no problem with getting pipefish. But a reminder they are a type of seahorse. They are delicate!

If this is the route you take make sure you can take the fish back once the issue is resolved. They generally eat pods exclusively and you don't have a large enough tank to maintain a pod population to keep them fed.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130210_205931.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130210_205931.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 120
  • ForumRunner_20130210_205947.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130210_205947.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 106
If what you have looks like that then harmless. How long have you had that coral in your tank?

3-4 months now. None of the other corals are having any kind of issues. It started to look like that about a month ago

They are not red bugs. red bugs would be all over, not just at the base. how old is this tank?
Take a Picture of the coral and post it.
Do not buy a pipefish. You most likely don't have enough food to sustain it.
Ok..I didn't see the rest of the comments. Those are isopods and they are not the destructive type of isopods. If you have these , your tank is very young. I'm guessing your sps is also a new addition and it's dying on it's own. the critters are just cleaning up, capitalizing on a free meal, sensing that the coral is dying.

Last edited:
Thanks Mr. X the tank is
7 months old. How can I help out my coral then?

Okay well I guess my next question is how do I prevent tthat from happening again?

Thanks Mr. X the tank is
7 months old. How can I help out my coral then?

What are all of your parameters currently? What lighting do you have? That coral requires a lot of lighting. I'd try moving it up.

Back
Top Bottom