Tiny Skilter Sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would it be possible for me to add some substrate and tiny LR rubbles into my skilter 250? Mayb even some macros too? The skilter has a small empty space where the water is returned to the tank.

Thanks

Unless you have a way of getting light there the macro would not be a good idea.

Unless you have a way of getting light there the macro would not be a good idea.
Plus it is probably not large enough to do you any good.
I suggest you read up on raising brine shrimp. It is not a walk in the park. More like a nightmare. Why not make building a sump/fuge your next "project"

I tried to make a fuge/filter out of my skilter when i had it. It was a nightmare because it was pushing the rubble around making a knocking sound. I really didnt like the skilter to begin with. It never did a good job for me. Maybe i got a bad one, but i still wouldnt recommend it to anyone. I agree, now that i have a little bit more experience, that small of a fuge really wouldnt do much good. It really needs the light. The macro would grow all crazy in the skilter also causing the skimmer part to not work properly. Thats my guess though because i didnt put any macro in it. Smart thinking though. Maybe you could invent a filter/fuge with an external closed loop PH! :) You could make some good money! Good luck!

ntswift said:
I tried to make a fuge/filter out of my skilter when i had it. It was a nightmare because it was pushing the rubble around making a knocking sound. I really didnt like the skilter to begin with. It never did a good job for me. Maybe i got a bad one, but i still wouldnt recommend it to anyone. I agree, now that i have a little bit more experience, that small of a fuge really wouldnt do much good. It really needs the light. The macro would grow all crazy in the skilter also causing the skimmer part to not work properly. Thats my guess though because i didnt put any macro in it. Smart thinking though. Maybe you could invent a filter/fuge with an external closed loop PH! :) You could make some good money! Good luck!
Hehe, inventing filters... i don't know about that lol. I think i'll just put enuf rubbles into the skilter that they won't be push around by the current. I won't help much but it does help :p. I won't add any LS or macro. About the skilter, yes it sucks. I was looking at purchasing a new skimmer but most of them are well over $100 each and i know that my dad won't buy it since we already have a "skimmer" at home :( Im gonna try the airstone mod for the skilter this weekend tho. Wish me luck :)

LOL... No, i was saying you could reinvent the filters! I guess i have to agree with you that if you put some rubble in there in can only help, but just make sure there aren't any small pieces that can get stuck anywhere or break anything. As far as getting a new skimmer, I'd go with the remora. its about $160-170 depending on where you get it. It is well worth the investment. Just find a way to come up with $90 and tell your dad you'll go half on it with him. Tell him its helping you invest and you're learning to save money and achieve goals! :) he can't say no to that! However there are skimmers for cheaper than $100. the coral life on Dr. F&S i think is only $90. Check this out and see what you think. My friend has it and it works pretty well. He likes it a lot anyway.
Here it is:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ge-_-Protein_Skimmers&subref=AA&N=2004+113771

That looks like a reasonable price. My dad might actually buy it. Anyone else would suggest me buy this product? Thanks ntswift

Back
Top Bottom