Tips for brown algae on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rupp3322

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a fairly new aquarium setup. I get alot of brownish algae on the glass. I clean it off often. Any tips out there for controlling this? Is it possible its the water im using? The water is crystal clear but this algae spreads over the glass especially by the sand. The tank doesnt get a minute of sunlight. The temp is a little high due to unseasonably warm weather this summer. Sometimes during the day the water temp reaches 82-84 degrees. My freshwater tank gets hardly any algae. And it gets some eveningsun. It doesnt appear to hurt anything, buti like my tanks crystal clear and spotless.

if you have a sump, buy a fan and have it blow across the surface of the water, if you don't buy a small fan and have it blow across the top of the tank. I had this problem ith temp. I turned heater down to 78 and added a fan to my sump never gets higher than 80 now. As far as algae on glass you have a new tank algae is part of that. Have you tested phosphates? are you using tap water or RO/DI?

Im using tap and dechlorinating it. Ive heard that can cause more algae growth.

Back
Top Bottom