Tips on corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triggersgalore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just picked up some polyps, a leather hand, red mushroom and a Kenya tree coral. Any tips on these corals would be great I have read a lot just wanting to know more. Thanks

Just picked up some polyps, a leather hand, red mushroom and a Kenya tree coral. Any tips on these corals would be great I have read a lot just wanting to know more. Thanks
All easy beginner corals. Might want to keep the Kenya segregated from everything else and watch for branches that it sheds. If you are not carefull it can overrun your tank.

Surround the kenya with either palys or zoas. I think its possible to actually use the palys/zoas to control the spread of corals like the kenya and xenias

Surround the kenya with either palys or zoas. I think its possible to actually use the palys/zoas to control the spread of corals like the kenya and xenias
Good idea for Xenia. Unfortunately Kenya branches periodically break off to float away elsewhere.

Kenya's have soooo much personality. They expand and retract based on touch and few degree temp changes. They actually are not aggressive. My brain and frogspawn stung it quite a bit when they were close in proximity. Plus when it drops branches it is cool, but you will have to remove the ones you don't want. my fish love mine. They swim through it. Then it closes and reopens within seconds. Fun to watch. Kenya's like a temp under 80 degrees. Plus look at a field of dandelions they are quite breathtaking.

Red Mushroom will spread easily, doesn't need much light.

Polyps(zoas) are very nice cover and open and close at night and when they get enough light.

Not familar with the leather.

With the leather (aka devil hand, finger leather) they are easy to keep and are hardy. They tend to do best in medium flow as they shed. The flow will wash away their skin, this can also easily be accomplished with a blast from a turkey baster. If you don't have one get one, turkey baster that is cause they are very handy in a reef tank. From blasting corals or algae away to target feeding. If you notice the leather not opening then give it a blasting to remove the skin and it will usually open shortly after.

Do they grow quickly?

In the right conditions they grow like weeds hence the dandelion comparison earlier. They are also tough as nails. I suffered two crashes during my tank upgrade and the Kenya tree melted to nothing and has now bounced back and is 2-3" tall. It was taller but after adding my vortech powerheads it is shorter and wider more like a bush than a tree.

Back
Top Bottom