To add or not to add (live rock Q)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I am planning to make a pod pile. The problem I am having is getting some rubble together for this. The only rock I can spare is an old live rock that dried up. It was once part of a QT tank that saw some fish deaths and coral deaths. The only medicine I remember it seeing was MELAFIX and PIMAFIX.

It completely dried out after the QT dried up (dont worry, I buried the fish).

So far, I have let the rock soak in fresh water for week and boiled it for 10mins.

Is this safe to use?
Matt

I doubt anything could've surivived that. If you wanted to be sure beyond a shadow of a doubt you could put it in a bucket of bleach but I don't think it's nescessary. So yeah, it's safe. :)

Hello,
Yea I figured all is dead. What I am scared of is a mini cycle, especially after adding the acroporas. YIKES!

I guess I ought to dunk them in some salt water and wait a few days while checking to see if ammonia forms? No ammonia = safe to add. Ammonia = decay from somewhere.
Bleach...Yikes!
Correct?
Matt

You should be OK. Your LR might be too pourus to soak in bleach. It might stay in the rock for a while. We have a article in our article section on curing LR.

Back
Top Bottom