To hunt and kill a mantis shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
*BANG* *BANG* *BANG* goes the mantis shrimp. My wife startled askes, "what was that?!"

*sigh*

Yet another mantis shrimp I say. Franly, I'm getting tired of these pests. I've lost two fish both to mantis I believe. I nuked one of them on the lawn but I think there's another.

I cannot for the life of me find the little pest, but I can surely hear it. Is there any way to hunt and/or kill these little unwanted guests?

A simple crab/shrimp trap might work. Just get a small/tall container (mayb a bottle), put some food in there to bait the shrimp into the container.

Try this home-made trap, and put it in after lights out:

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/fish_trap.htm

You could add a puffer, moray, or trigger, that could work too...........

Good Luck

Oh, and next time you add LR to the tank, try this, I found a couple that never got to my tank.

When the rock is cured and ready to go in, mix up a batch of saltwater in a 5 gallon bucket that is SUPER salty, like off the hydro chart salty.

Dip the rock in the bucket, real quick, and jump back because if there is a mantis up in the rock, he most likely will bolt from it and land in your lap at this point.

Rinse and repeat......

Good Luck

Hahahaha... that's brilliant! I'd love to see that captured on camera.

I think my mantis come on the rock which my corilamorphs were attached to. Bummer.

I'll look to give that trap a shot. Hopefully my clown doesn't try to get inside. I guess in any event he'll be in the tank water so it wont be that bad.

I also think i have one of these little buggers, I just cant find him I think i know where the click comes from i get a torch and look but no where to be found the little sneaky bugger. Thankfully i have not lost anything to him yet.
I also have not found any broken shells to confirm it is a mantis but...
so long as my tank stays intack he can stay there.

Back
Top Bottom