To install a uv light or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there is no data proving these small units we use in this hobby do anything for the health of the tank.
the only reason i would use one is if you had a "green water" algae bloom, and i would use it until the algae was gone. it's completely unnecessary after that IMO.

That is what I kind of figured. Plus the water would be moving way to fast to kill anything

I dont know. I used one for yrs and never had an algea problem or ich problem. Was it because of the UV? I guess we will never know as I did other things like feed every other day and weekly PWC`s. I did not get another after that one broke.

because of the life cycle of ich, the odds of ridding the tank of ich with a UV sterilizer are extremely slim. the only way you could do this is if the entire tank was under a UV light for a full life cycle and that, Depending on the water temperature, can take from 4 days to several weeks., and we know we can't do that.
no matter how fast or slow water travels through the unit, it's not going to kill all of them.

Back
Top Bottom