To keep or not to keep Pistol Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all need your advice. I have a pistol shrimp in my 4.5gal nano tank constantly shifting the sand and mess up all my rock works. Make my rockwork looks as if they are cover in snow which I am not very impressed. Will you guys recommend me take out the shrimp? Or will it do any good keeping him? Will anything bad happen to the sand bed if no one is stirring it around? Or any other creatures can do the same thing but not messing it up to such a degree. Thanks in advance guys.

The problems with pistol shrimp in a small tank isn't so much the rearranging he does, but the damage he can do to the fish with his clicking.

Like mantis shrimp, just not as powerful, pistol shrimp stun their potential prey by clicking their large claw. Have you heard any pops in the tank? Most likely that's the pistol shrimp. If you had a much larger tank, I'd say get a goby for him, but being you have a nano, it'd be best to give him up. Your LFS should be willing to take him.

Back
Top Bottom