to refugium or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok....im pickin up my 80gal tank this weekend and will almost be ready to start my saltwater tank goin. I have a maxi reef wet/dry (which Im using lr rubble instead of bioballs) and a ETTS Reef Devil as my skimmer...cant wait to crank this thing up to see it work :)
anywho...I have an extra 30 gal tank and was wondering if i should use this as a refugium along with my wetdry....
it would mean getting another pump but if it will make things easier then its worth doin it. does anyone have any good write ups on how t set this up and all?
In the long run I plan to have coral and all...but not anytime soon. still needing to get light and it seems that will be be the most expensive piece of equipment so i need to save up.
Any suggestions are helpful :)

Do you have all the room under your stand? If so, you can easilly lift your wet dry off the ground a bit, maybe by a foot. (just use a cinder block, wood, or just something sturdy. Drill a hole for a bulkhead to go through the acrylic wall of your wet dry, and have it spill into your refugium (you can have a hose that will bring the hose down). As long as your hose is 1 1/2" (depending on the flow rate of your return pump) you won't need a 2nd pump at all.

~~Rob

sounds good but is there anyway to do it without drillin a hole...I really prefer not to do something like that at least not at first....would i U tube work just like that over flow box? I know id have to keep the sihpon goin ...honestly id rather jsut get a small pump to push the water up and over to the refugium but i was thinkin of doin the wetdry lift already cause the 30 gal is a tall. and I am custom building a stand so I can incorporate this into my plans

baffels like in seperators in the 30 gal?
the other option i had for the 30 gal was incase i need to quaritine anything or cure lr or so

yeah, you can use them to setup a bubble trap if you need it. or to create a small return area in the 30. It's a personal preference, but help keep things separated and in their place for easy maintanence.

hmmm....need to do some heavy research on this
I thought a was a large ls bed with stuff like plants and such to act as another biological filter
anyone know any good links or sites with detailed info on the subject

It really is, but it is up to you how detailed you want to make it. I'm just that kind of person, I have been researching them every day for about 3-4 months now and I am just putting my sump/fuge all together.

search for "refugium or fuge" in this site and you will find tons of answers to your questions and ones you haven't even thought of yet.

Back
Top Bottom