To U.V. or not U.V.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Gillman

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK,So what i really want to know is a sterilizer gonna deplete needed nutrients in my 90 gal. reef,and do u.v. sterilizers help to control cyanobacterium.TIA

They may offer some insurance against nuisssance algaes, but keeping good water parameters (ie low nutrients) is most important regardless. Some reefers say they kill benficial plankton, others would not go w/ out one. I don't think adding one is going to make or break your reef. I've personnaly never used one. JMO

MT79 said:
but keeping good water parameters (ie low nutrients) is most important regardless.

I agree that this is more important also. I have a UV and I think it is very beneficial as far as killing algea spores. I personally think that they are a good thing to have but that is IMO.

I agree with both of you...it is one of those things that you have to look at the pros and cons and decied whether it is something you should add to your reef....I don't have one but that is not to say that I wont ever add one....just my $.02

IMO--invest in the best protein skimmer you can get.
To control algae effectively invest in a micronbag--3 for 20 dollars--washable--but don't get caught using your wife's washing machine-LOL
Micronbags effectively remove phosphates nitrates which indirectly controls the algae by removing its food source.
Tangster

Back
Top Bottom