Toadstool Mushroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnNLuc

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I have this toadstool mushroom I drip acclimated him 3 days ago for about 2 hours than put him in the tank. Within an hour the polyps were out and fully extended and he was looking good He stayed this way for another 2 days until today I didnt see his polyps out at all hes bent over and now im seeing almost like white/yellow blothces on his crown i guess you would call it. All my other corals are fine and water parameters are fine can you suggest what to do?

Ok I Have read a little and have come up with 2 things that could be happening one it could be shedding its outer layer of skin or two its going through tissue necrosis could someone please explain how to tell the difference the thing is not falling apart but the crown of it (where the polyps are) do not have that dark pink look anymore. the only way i can describe it is it looks like theres lighter white lines all over it as if the darker tissue is being lost

How's he situated in the water flow scheme? Wondering whether he needs less or more.

Of course I don't have one and couldn't advise you which they'd need, but I'm thinking that could be an issue with yours.

My Toadstool did the same thing and stayed bare on top for right at a week then the top layer of slime blew off. The head filled out and looked pretty good. Then it did it again 2 days later and now it looks great. My wife say's it looks better now than when it was at the LFS.
Hope this helps.

thanks for the advice on the calcium on my other post johnNLuc. now i can return the favor a little bit.
sounds like i bought my toadstool about the same time as you. the rest of my story is exactly the same also. 2 hours drip, it looked great for a couple days and then closed. yesterday it opened back up. i lightly blasted it with a turkey baster. a bunch of shedding came off and today it is opened up better than ever. long polyp extensions!
yours may just be adjusting to its new home. BTW, i also gave it a little more flow than before. it seems to like it the slightly higher flow

hope this helps a little
steve r

Steve I want to thank you. I have ruled out tissue necrosis and am starting to see it shedding little by little it's still closed but I feel better knowing its not dieing Tomorrow I will gently blast it with the baster. Thanks a lot

One more question guys. I woke up today and he's open but his polyps are not and he still is letting off stringy musuc looking stuff from his crown. The question is this is almost the fourth day his polyps have not been out, should I be worried he will starve to death if they dont come out soon? TIA

my opinion would be he progressing along just fine. on the first day of opening back up he had polyps later that day after i blasted off the sheddings with a turkey baster.

I just used the turkey baster I did not see much fly off of him but his polyps are not out and i see one stingy thing coming off of him on top so I guess i will just sweat i out and wait for him to come around.

Well another day and my toadstool is still a weird color and his polyps are not out. I can still see stringy stuff somewhat coming off of him but I was wondering How many days can he live without filter feeding? I mean he hasnt been open in almost a week now. Im starting to worry any ideas? He's in a moderate flow of water still and i've been squirting him with a turkey baster to get the other slime off of him yet none seems to come off.

i dont really know how long they can go. after i told you mine was looking good, he hasnt polyped out in about 3 days now. go figure. it still opens and closes but just no polyps. i guess they do what they want. they are an animal. i have heard they can be kind of moody for a while when put inot a new tank. after they get comfortable though they are very hardy

steve r

Steve I guess our battles with the toadstool are ongoing and probably never ending I have also read they do what they like in regards to openeing or not. I hope mine decides to stop being such a pain in the rear and come out. I mean his crown openes but his polyps refuse to come out so I guess i'll just watch him a bit longer and hope he decides he likes his new home.

*sighs* I don't know what to do. I do not see the toadstool shedding anymore but he does open and close just no polyps im wondering what to do. His color seems very off as well some parts are purple while others are a yellow/green Please help. its been almost 2 weeks yet I see no necrosis from him :(

odd looking toadstool john. mine has gone dormant for a few days now. it opens and closes just no polyps. i have heard it can take several weeks to get comfortable. my opinion would be, if its not falling apart to let it go for a another week or two. that is how i am going to play mine

steve r

Thanks steve same with mine opens and closes no polyps Im gonna continue to watch it making sure necrosis does not set in otherwise im at a loss for why its not fully coming out.

Mine will open and close with no polps for days, then one day they will all be out and stay out for a week, then back in for 2 days, then back out for 1 and so on.....

I think they are kinda like a women, very moody! :D

(revhtree's wife walks in room and slaps him in the back of the head :evil: )

::::Disclaimer:::: I am kidding about the women part, but not about the toadstool. They are very moody IME! :wink:

haha thanks to both of you for all the help. I just walked in now (2:25 am) and shined a light on it and the crown looks very glossy which almost sounds like its still shedding yet i see no more coming off of him.. This mushroom is more than moody

Back
Top Bottom