Tonga live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

200 gallon reef

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know where I can get live tonga branch rock? If not I guess I will settle for base tonga which I think brs sells.

I am trying to make a shelf coming off the large rock on the left side of the tank jetting out about 10 inches.

Thank u in advance.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120415_152706.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120415_152706.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 151
Caribbean lr might also be of interest to you. It is long and flat. I used mine to make a ton of caves. Great stuff. Check out saltwaterfish.com. have lots of lr.

Jeez, sorry, I just realized you were looking for live - mine was base rock. :(

I figure it'll become live as I'm cycling it anyway :)

Can you add live rock to an already cycled and established tank? I thought there could be die off and cause a mini cycle?

It's always a risk, especially with uncured or "semi-cured" rock. So, unless you have a separate place to allow it to cure, I'd add it very slowly. One piece at a time, at least a week between rocks. But I'm overly cautious.

I was thinking about adding approx 5 lbs. How long do u think it would take to cure?

I have only bought rock already cured from my lfs.

How long? It just depends on how much die off there is. If 90% of what is on/in the rock lives, you won't see much of a mini-cycle at all as the 90% will eat up the ammonia produced by the dieing 10%.
5 lbs in a 200 gallon reef should be fine, assuming you have lots of rock already.

Back
Top Bottom