Too Cold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshsReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I have been debating on whether or not I should go ahead and a clean up crew too my tank. I have wanted to do if for sometime but havent had my tank to the point where I wanted it before adding all those snails and crabs (was afraid of smashing them when adding new rock) anways now that I am ready it has gotten mighty cold outside. ( they are calling for a high of 20 degrees saturday) I live in the midwest, just outside of cincy ohio - If you were me would you feel comfortable having 100$ worth of inverts shipped to you while it was this cold ? I am thinking I prob should wait but thought I would ask

I dont ever order livestock in the winter. The chances are not good that they will be alive. Heard too many horror stories from others. They use heat packs but when you get that cold they dont help that much.

Premium Aquatics is pretty darn close to you. Don't know if they're doing livestock anymore. Might be worth giving them a call and seeing if they can't ship and hold at the local UPS/FedEx distribution center for you to pick up. At least that way it doesn't spend all day riding around in a cold truck. I know DrFosterSmith gives you that option... to deliver to a FedEx Service Center.

The past month I have ordered three times and it has been cold. No problems encountered. As long as you are dealing with a reputable place they can ship in the cold. But why not just buy local?

Prices mostly - when you can buy an astrea snail for a buck as compared to 3 at the LFS it just not seem logical to buy at the lfs. Etropicals has resonable prices and they will ship for free during the week and for around 20 dollars on saturday. I will prob wait for a warmer weekend, but buying my cleenup crew online will save my pocketbook.

i would give it a shot... inverts like snails usually ship pretty well even in the cold. i just ordered from marinedepot.com (a cleaning pack) and everything came in well

I agree with Mike, I do not like to get anything shipped in cold weather. I had a problem with marinedepotlive, but I only ordered from there once. You can look Here http://www.fishstorereview.com/reviews/reviews_ky.html maybe there is a LFS that you might have missed.
I do agree $3 for a snail is a bit much. Does your LFS offer discounts on quantity?

I agree with both Mike and Scott. I have ordered in the winter in the past and it's a toss up. The heat packs are rarely effective. The inside box temperature will be in the low 60's if you are lucky.

I have had snail survive the cold shipping. They may have looked DOA but came back to life after several hours.

I am hoping F&S is able to ship in the cold. I am in Utah, and it is pretty **** cold now 20 dg F day and 8 dg F night.
I need to order a cleaning crew pretty soon.
I like the idea of waiting for a warm weekend and pulling the trigger.

WOW, if your LFS wants $3 for an astrea how much is everything else?

It looks like there are 6 LFSs in the Louisville area. I'm guessing you are close to there being in North KY and near Cincinati. I would do some more checking around the link that Scott gave you is a great thing to add to your favorites list!

10 bucks for an emerald crab, 6 dollars for a mexican turbo snail, 4 dollars for a scarelet reef hermit - nothing around here is under 3 bucks - lol

Ordered from www.saltwaterfish.com a month ago and had good luck. A couple non-survivors were refunded to me since they have a 2 week gaurantee, but most everything else is doing great. I've ordered from them several times. Like the freebies.

I don't think I would be shopping at that LFS either! Those prices are way too high! I would definately order from an online source.

etropicals raised there prices overnight, lol - just when I was waiting for a good time to order

I am needing to order my cleanup crew soon. From California to Washington State. But I am going to wait a month because the low in my hometown last night was only 5 degrees with a high of 27 I will wait until the high reaches at least 50 with freezing temperatures the shipping container will come pretty close to freezing even with heat packs. And the ideal temp is 78+ so even shipping in 50degree weather is taking a chance in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom